Italian marines may face charges that award death
The two Italian marines accused of killing two Kerala fishermen in February 2012 are likely to face trial under charges that provide for only the death penalty.
Home minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, law minister Kapil Sibal and external affairs minister Salman Khurshid met on Thursday to thrash out an agreement on the issue.
“An agreement has been reached to give the NIA (National Investigation Agency) the go-ahead for filing charges under section 3 of the Suppression of Unlawful Acts against Safety of Maritime Navigation and Fixed Platforms on Continental Shelf Act, 2002 (SUA),” said a senior government official, requesting anonymity.
After completing its probe in the case, the NIA invoked the law’s section 3, which states that any act causing the death of any person shall be punished with the death sentence. But since an executive assurance had been given by the external affairs ministry to the Italian government about not awarding the death penalty to them, the matter remained pending for more than a month.
The sanction to prosecute the two marines is likely to be given to the NIA anytime now, HT has learnt.
The two marines — Salvatore Girone and Massimiliano Latorre — were part of the six-member naval team onboard the MT Enrica Lexie to deal with pirates. They are accused of killing two Indian fishermen — Ajesh Binki and Jelestine — off the Kerala coast on February 15, 2012.
They are now staying in the Italian embassy in the capital, awaiting trial.
The NIA has concluded in its probe that the marines had not issued any warning on loudspeaker or fired warning shots before shooting the two fishermen.
Initially the Kerala police were investigating the case but later it was handed over the NIA on the directions of the Supreme Court.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Two separate flights transported 500,000 doses to Sri Lanka and 100,000 doses to Bahrain.
- The court was hearing pleas filed by Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind and Peace Party seeking action against media reports indulging in communal branding of Covid-19 pandemic in the light of Tablighi Jamaat congregation in Delhi's Nizamuddin area. The pleas alleged discriminatory coverage by a section of media.
- In November, Bansidhar Bhagat, the BJP chief in Uttarakhand had urged Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat to dissolve development authorities as they were not fulfilling the purpose for which they had been created.
- While talking about the Centre’s efforts to usher in domestic manufacturing of defence equipment the Prime Minister said “The day is not far when India will be known as a big producer of defence equipment instead of a big market.”