Karunanidhi joins 'Eelam' bandwagon
Under pressure from its rival AIADMK and others, Tamil Nadu's ruling DMK has jumped into the 'Eelam' bandwagon demanding a separate homeland for Tamils in Sri Lanka. In a bid to match competing rivals, DMK chief and Chief Minister M Karunanidhi said last night that he would make all efforts for creation of 'Eelam'.
"We have ensured a fair quantity of relief for Sri Lankan Tamils. As a next step, they should get Eelam and I assumed responsibilities of making all efforts to ensure that 'Eelam' is created", he said in an appeal to DMK workers.
Karunanidhi's remarks came after AIADMK supremo Jayalaltihaa made a dramatic turnaround from her party's known stand and pitched for a separate homeland for Tamils in Sri Lanka in the election manifesto.
Later, she also said that if the Lok Sabha polls returned a "favourable" government, she would ensure the Indian army was sent to Sri Lanka to help create 'Eelam'. AIADMK's allies in Tamil Nadu include pro-LTTE and pro-Eelam parties like MDMK and PMK.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The police said they were ascertaining the identities and affiliation of the two terrorists.
- India’s “right of reply” to the Pakistani minister’s speech was delivered by Seema Pujani, second secretary in the permanent mission to the UN.
- Despite the bail, Pradeep Panigrahy will not be released from prison as three other cases of fraud have been filed by the people of Ganjam district.
- Reiterating his government’s stance on privatisation, the Prime Minister said, “We have made it clear in the new public sector enterprise policy that government will have limited role in only four strategic sectors and all other public sector units can be privatised.”
- Cyberabad police have arrested eight people in the passport scam, including two policemen who were responsible for verifying applications.