Nine dead, 20 injured in Philippine bomb blast
The device was planted on the ground floor of a two-story building along a busy street. Those killed were mostly employees.india Updated: Mar 27, 2006 12:50 IST
At least nine persons were killed and around 20 were seriously wounded on Monday in a bomb blast in the Philippine island of Jolo, police and witnesses said.
"As of the moment, we have an initial death toll of nine," Jolo provincial police chief Ahiron Ajirin said.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack.
The explosive device was planted on the ground floor of the two-story building along a busy street. Those killed were mostly employees working in a cooperative there, he said.
Road blocks have been set up around the town and businesses have been shut down.
A portion of the building's facade fell to the ground because of the impact of the explosion, the second deadly bomb attack to hit the area this year.
Ajirin said one man had been taken in for questioning, but he would not say if he was a suspect.
Earlier, the insurgents had planted a bomb at a bar outside an Army camp on February 18. One civilian was killed and 20 others were seriously wounded in that attack.
First Published: Mar 27, 2006 12:26 IST