Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 12, 2018-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

No response to safe passage offer to ULFA

The Assam government is yet to receive a positive response from the banned ULFA to its 14-day "safe passage" offer.

india Updated: Jan 04, 2006 20:49 IST

The Assam government is yet to receive a positive response from the banned ULFA to its 14-day "safe passage" offer from January 7 for its cadres to visit their families during the Magh Bihu festival.

"There is no positive response so far. It is up to them (ULFA) to respond," state Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi told reporters in Guwahati.

"If ULFA responds then I will send a proposal to the Union Home ministry for ensuring their safe passage", he said responding to queries about the Army authorities' claim that they were yet to receive any such instructions.

The Chief Minister on new year's day offered the facility to ULFA for its cadres to visit their near and dear ones during the Magh Bihu festival and also for the new year.

"They will only have to inform us and then visit their families. They will also have to come unarmed and we will not arrest them", Gogoi assured.

"We will let them go back also", the Chief Minister added.

First Published: Jan 04, 2006 20:49 IST