NPL mulls low-cost glucose monitor
Nicholas Piramal India is planning to bring out a new, low-cost medical device to measure critical parameters in people with high blood sugar. The new device, which would be convenient for doctors to measure blood pressure, blood sugar and related data, could be used without the patient knowledge at that moment even though the data would be available with them for reference.
Since the ethical device will work without the patient’s direct knowledge, it would be able to get an accurate reading of the patient’s vital signs. Doctors say that many patients actually get heightened symptoms such as increased heartbeat and blood pressure by the mere presence of a medical environment, interfering with the diagnosis. This is known as the “white coat” effect.
The new device is expected to cost significantly less than the available medical devices in that category. Conventional blood glucose monitors cost between Rs 2,000-4,000 and may need pin pricks to draw blood.
“Considerable effort is needed to prevent and reduce the increasingly large burden of hypertension in India,” Dr. Swati Piramal, director, NPIL said at a press conference launching Resperate.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Earlier this month, CBI in the first charge-sheet in the case had named BSF Commandant Satish Kumar and Murshidabad-based businessman Enamul Haque along with five others for their alleged involvement in cattle smuggling across the India-Bangladesh border.
- The bench, also comprising Justices L Nageswara Rao and S Ravindra Bhat apart from Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde were of the view that magistrates should play a more “intrusive” role in investigation.
- Police said the accused and the victim were in a relationship for a year, but of late she had been avoiding him.
- The national carrier at present is operating only special passenger trains since the curbs on lockdown were eased. Regular passenger trains have been suspended since March 25, 2020.
- Both the casualties took place due to IED blasts.
- The BJP unit has also been at loggerheads with the ruling Meghalaya Democratic Alliance (MDA) dispensation with its chief Earnest Mawrie accusing it of anomalies in governance.
- Shahjahanpur’s superintendent of police S Anand, SP, denied reports that the girl was burnt after a failed rape attempt
- An expert team is trying to drain out the lake to prevent another tragedy like the Chamoli flash flood.
- The tribal fair draws devotees not only from Telangana, but also from other states like Andhra Pradesh, Chhattisgarh, Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh.
- The notice released by the state government stated “All passengers coming to West Bengal from the aforementioned 4 states shall mandatorily carry a covid negative RT-PCR report for such test conducted within 72 hours of flight departure.”
- The police said they were ascertaining the identities and affiliation of the two terrorists.