HT Image
HT Image

Pak forces open fire on Indian positions

Pakistani troops opened fire on Indian posts along the LoC in Poonch district of J&K as Indian forces were engaged in preventing a major infiltration bid nearby.
PTI | By HT Correspondent, Jammu
UPDATED ON JUL 10, 2008 08:07 PM IST

In yet another violation of the ceasefire, Pakistani troops on Thursday opened indiscriminate firing on Indian posts in Kishnaghati area, along the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir as Indian forces were engaged in preventing a major infiltration bid nearby.

"Pakistani troops opened indiscriminate firing on a forward post along the LoC in Krishangati belt in Poonch district late this afternoon," defence spokesperson Col SD Goswami told PTI.

No one was injured in the firing, the spokesman said.

However, a Pakistani military spokesman said it was the Indian forces which had opened fire.

The Indian spokesman said posts on the LOC came under a barrage of fire from the opposite Pakistani positions, but said Indian troops did not retaliate.

Army sources said that the firing on the Indian post came even as, Indian forces just 3 to 4 kms away were engaged in foiling a bid by about 20 militants to cross over.

"The infiltration bid was foiled. Militatns were forced to retreat back to Pakistani territory", the army spokesman said.

He said a protest was be lodged with the Pakistani authorities over the unprovoked firing at a flag meeting of local commanders.

Recently, Pakistani troops had violated the ceasefire four times in the Samba on the International Border, Thangda and in Poonch sector on the loc since april 25.

One jawan was killed in firing in Krishangati area in June.

According to reports from Islamabad, Major General Athar Abbas, Director General of the Inter-Services Public Relations, claimed that Indian and Pakistani troops had exchanged small arms fire along the LoC in Buttle sector of Hajira, before local commanders stepped in to control the situation.

"At 2 pm, Indian troops opened fire and engaged one of our forward posts with small arms and mortar fire," the Pakistani General said adding "our troops retaliated."

The exchange of fire continued for "few minutes" and there were no casualities on the Pakistani side, he said.

Abbas said Pakistani commanders had got in touch with their Indian counterparts and had sought a flag meeting in the area.

The Pakistan spokesman made no mention of any attempt to infiltrate in the area.

Story Saved