Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 11, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Pak terrorist caught in Kashmir weeks after Naveed's arrest

This is the second time in this month that a Pakistan national has been caught after violent attacks in the state.

india Updated: Aug 27, 2015 22:41 IST
Toufiq Rashid
Toufiq Rashid
Hindustan Times
Mohammad Naveed,Gurdaspur encounter,militants
Sajjad was caught alive by security forces in Jammu and Kashmir, less than a month after the capture of Mohammad Naveed Yakub. (HT Photo)

A Pakistani terrorist was captured alive after an encounter with security forces in Kashmir on Thursday, the second this month after Lashkar-e-Taiba operative Mohammad Naveed.

The 22-year-old was caught while four of his companions were gunned down after a two-day encounter in north Kashmir on Thursday. A sixth man is said to be at large.

“He told us his name is Sajad alias Javed alias Abu Ubaidullah and that he is a resident of Muzaffargarh in Pakistan's Balochistan,” said a top police official. Like Naveed — caught alive after the ambush on a BSF convoy in Jammu’s Udhampur district on August 5 — he told interrogators that he was a Lashkar man, sources said.

Sajad’s capture assumes significance in the light of the recently-cancelled NSA-level talks between India and Pakistan and is likely to strengthen New Delhi’s dossier on cross-border terrorism and infiltration by Islamabad. The dossier, which already contains Naveed’s confession, will soon be submitted to Islamabad.

Watch |

Pakistani militant captured, three others killed in North Kashmir

Sajad was part of a six-man cell that infiltrated into India. “Five militants are accounted for — one captured and four killed in two days. One militant is still at large,” said a source, adding that a search was on.

According to the army, the encounter started in Kazinagar Dhar near the Line of Control in Uri sector on Wednesday morning. Sources said one militant was killed. An army spokesperson said the five terrorists escaped and holed up in a natural cave in Baramulla district’s Rafiabad.

The gunfight resumed on Thursday morning. “After an operation by the army and J&K Police, which lasted till the afternoon today, three more terrorists were eliminated while one was captured alive. Four AK-47 rifles and two UBGLs (underbarrel grenade launchers) were recovered,” the spokesperson said.

Sources said Sajad was “smoked out” of the cave with pepper grenades. A police official said he would soon be taken for joint interrogation to be conducted by the army and police.

First Published: Aug 27, 2015 15:36 IST