Priest, film director held in sex scandal case
A priest, a film director and two others were taken into custody from Kottayam and Thrissur in connection with the 'Thoppumpady sex scandal' of 2002 in the city, police said.
The arrested are Fr Kuriakose, Shibu, Rajan Sithara, a film director and Abdul Khader, police said.
Kuriakose was arrested on Friday from his house at Kanjirappally in Kottayam district while Shibhu was arrested from Kottayam, police said.
Rajan Sithara was arrested from his residence in Thrissur district and Abdul Khader was taken into custory from Aluva, they said.
The case was registered in 2002 following a police raid in a lodge at nearby Thoppumpady where a minor girl was raped by a group of people.
A Special Branch police team led by A V George, SP State Special Branch, had taken the four into custody.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Air quality had remained in the poor to very poor category since the beginning of January owing to low temperatures. On January 8, the AQI was the worst at 317 (very poor) for this year.
- For the first time, TMC’s youth unit president and chief minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew Abhishek Banerjee stepped in to solve the crisis. He sent party spokesperson Kunal Ghosh to bring Roy to his office on Camac Street in south Kolkata and held a two-hour meeting on Friday.
- To meet Shah’s target of winning more than 200 of Bengal’s 294 assembly seats in 2021, the BJP has put together its biggest election machinery in the eastern state.
- More than 12,000 doses of the vaccine have reached Ladakh of which around 4,000 have been earmarked for armed forces personnel to protect them from Covid-19, the officials said speaking on condition of anonymity.
- MPW workers demand promotion and cadre-restructuring.
- Choudhury's comments came after the TMC had on Wednesday said the Congress and the Left should support Banerjee in her fight against the BJP, a suggestion rejected by the two parties.
- In view of high active caseload the state had sought more vials in the first stage but it was told that in the second stage more vials will be given. Once lauded for its Covid-19 management, now Kerala is the virus hotspot of the country.
- The two countries will also work together in the field of telecom security, submarine optical fibre cable system to islands of India.