Rajnath meets RSS leaders over new BJP chief
Union home minister Rajnath Singh met RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat and other leaders of the outfit — ideological mentor of the BJP — on Wednesday to discuss the appointment of the next BJP chief.
Singh also met Modi to brief him over the discussions held with the RSS leaders.
Since Singh, the current Bharatiya Janata Party chief, has been inducted into Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s cabinet, the party needs to bring in a replacement for his post.
Some of those being considered to lead the party are general secretaries JP Nadda, Amit Shah and P Muralidhar Rao. Om Mathur, a close Modi aide and in-charge of the last Gujarat assembly elections, is also a frontrunner.
The BJP is likely to carry out a host of organisational changes as most of its leaders have joined the new government.
General secretaries of the BJP, Ananth Kumar, Dharmendra Pradhan and Thawar Chand Gehlot, have become Union ministers. Smriti Irani and Jual Oram, who are vice-presidents and Piyush Goyal, who is the treasurer, have also been inducted into the council of ministers.
Modi was sworn in as the new Prime Minister on May 26. Besides him, 45 other members were inducted into the new council of ministers. A cabinet expansion is likely to take place in mid-June.
RSS pointsman for the BJP, Suresh Soni, was also present at the meeting held at the RSS office in New Delhi on Wednesday.
(With inputs from Agencies)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The ADG has constituted teams of police personnel from Aligarh to assist the Hathras police.
- The incident took place on Sunday afternoon, when the girl went to a wheat field, owned by the family of the accused, to collect fodder and water.
- The provisions under the new rules relate to the code of ethics for digital news publishers, setting up of a grievance redressal system and the requirement of disclosure of information to Centre, the ministry said.
- The instrument will support the 3.6 metre Devasthal Optical Telescope (DOT) in Uttarakhand, an official release from the department of science said on Wednesday.
- Lt-Gen BS Raju said a quiet LoC will allow us to address the challenge of terrorism in a focused manner.
- The central agency has registered a case on the basis of an FIR registered by Chennai Economic Offences Wing in September last year.
- Dhyani added that the burden on the ecology due to construction on Himalayan slopes made the region prone to disasters.
- Navlakha claimed in his petition filed through advocate Shadan Farasat that the 90-day period for filing of charge sheet was over and he was entitled to default bail under Section 167(2) of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).
- Lama was being considered as the GJM candidate for the Kalimpong assembly seat in the coming polls later this month.
- Unhappy with the response, the bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde asked Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to appear in the case along with Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Vikramjeet Banerjee, who presented the note to the Court.
- The officer withdrew his request after an orthopaedic surgeon said his purpose would not be served by buying a horse.