Sailors died due to gas leak: Navy
The five naval personnel, who were killed aboard INS 'Jalashwa', died due to inhaling Hydrogen Sulphide.india Updated: Feb 02, 2008 16:22 IST
The five naval personnel, who were killed on Friday night on board warship INS 'Jalashwa', died due to inadvertently inhaling Hydrogen Sulphide gas, leaking from one of the compartments of the vessel. <b1>
The personnel comprised a repair party, which was working on one of the shafts when the leak took place, a Naval spokesman said on Saturday.
"The Naval personnel were carrying out maintenance work and died by inadvertently inhaling the leaking gas and not due to any fire or any other cause," he said.
Five Naval personnel were killed and three injured critically in during a Naval exercise in the Bay of Bengal on Friday.
The deceased sailors have been identified as KVR Krishna Rao, DR Kumar Chaitanya, Ramesh Kumar Nayak, Deepak Shivran, and Narendra Yadav, all members of the repair team.
Among those injured are Lt Cdr Sweth Gupta, Lt Ruchir Prasad and electrician Yatish Pawar.
All the three injured are being airlifted to Port Blair from the ship for further medical treatment.
An IAF AN-32 transport aircraft has been positioned at Port Blair to bring back the dead bodies to Vishakhapatnam.
The accident took place on board the Indian Navy's latest acquisition INS 'Jalashwa' while the ship was taking part in the Naval exercises between Visakhapatanam and Port Blair.