South Korea sent home by Swiss | india | Hindustan Times
  • Monday, Jun 25, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 25, 2018-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

South Korea sent home by Swiss

Switzerland reached the second round in its first World Cup for 12 years after a 2-0 victory over '02 semi-finalists.

india Updated: Jun 24, 2006 03:14 IST

Switzerland reached the second round in its first World Cup for 12 years on Friday after a 2-0 victory over South Korea.

Philippe Senderos headed in Hakan Yakin's free kick in the 23rd minute and Alexander Frei added a disputed goal in the 77th to clinch the win and eliminate the 2002 semifinalist.

Switzerland won Group G and will play in the second round against Ukraine on Monday in Cologne. France beat Togo 2-0 in the other group match to edge South Korea for second place and a meeting with Spain on Tuesday in Hanover.

Switzerland finished with seven points, two more than 1998 champion France, and three more than South Korea. Togo finished last without a point.

Lee Chun-soo set up a third-minute opportunity for South Korea but his cross back across goal eluded Park Ji-sung. The two sides exchanged chances for the 10 minutes before Switzerland began to gain control.

As South Korea's defense became more desperate, Park Chu-young pulled down Tranquillo Barnetta, drawing a yellow card and giving the Swiss a 23rd-minute free kick. Yakin curled a left-footed drive from 35 meters (yards) and Senderos ran on to it and headed past goalkeeper Lee Woon-jae.

Both Senderos and defender Choi Jin-cheul were left bloody from a clash of heads. Senderos came to the touchline to celebrate his goal with blood streaming down his nose from a cut between his eyes while Choi was left with a cut above his right eye.

Both needed attention to close the wounds and returned five minutes later. Senderos later was forced out of the game in the 51st after falling on his right elbow in a clash with Cho Jae-jin. In the 77th, Frei rounded the goalkeeper to score. The lineman flagged for offside, but the referee ruled that a Korean defender had played the ball to Frei.