Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 25, 2019-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Anandpal’s farmhouse was a torture chamber, had private lockups: Police

Top cops tell journalists about the encounter in which the dreaded gangster died.

jaipur Updated: Jul 16, 2017 20:11 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Anandpal Singh,Rajasthan,Vasundhara Raje
The house in Churu where the gangster had taken refuge and where he was killed in an encounter. (HT Photo)

Even as the controversy surrounding the death of gangster Anandpal Singh refuses to die down anytime soon, senior police officials of the Rajasthan police addressed the media on Sunday morning, putting forth their side of the story — once again.

Three top officials of the state police force told journalists about the circumstances surrounding the encounter and subsequent protests, most of which is already public knowledge and has been widely reported by the media.

“Anandpal Singh was a person who would commit the most heinous crimes for petty reasons. We are ready to answer any questions surrounding the encounter,” said additional director general of police (crime) Pankaj Kumar Singh.

ADG (law and order) NRK Reddy said, “We have inspected Anandpal’s farmhouse in Ladnun and were shocked to discover that it is nothing less than a torture chamber.”

“There were several private lockups at the farmhouse where his prisoners were kept. He used to tie the prisoners inside these shallow, constricting lockups,” said ADG Pankaj Kumar Singh.

He added that in the murder of one Nanuram, Anandpal tortured him inhumanly before finishing him off.

“Nanuram’s hands were broken and he was hung upside down from a ceiling fan. Thereafter his throat was slit and his body was cut into pieces before they were dissolved in acid and thrown on the highway,” said Singh.

The officials also spoke about the events surrounding the encounter, which took place on June 24 in Churu district.

“Our teams called out to Anandpal to surrender but the only response we got from his end was gunfire. Be it Shrawan Singh and his family, who had given shelter to the gangster or his brothers who were present on the spot, nobody has disputed our narrative,” said Singh.

The police said the fact that no counter narrative has come up in the last 22 days is evidence enough to suggest that the encounter was genuine.

Singh added that a special investigation team (SIT) has been formed which will be looking at the encounter and the events surrounding it.

Additional director general of police (ATS &SOG) Umesh Mishra was also present during the press briefing. The police have faced strong criticism from the Rajputs and opposition members for the encounter.

Violence had erupted during a condolence rally at the gangster’s native village, Sanvrad, on July 12 in which one person died and more than 32 people were injured.

“The mob wanted to burn the personnel of railway police at the Sanvrad station and had also poured kerosene on them. It was because of a local that they couldn’t succeed,” said additional director general of police (law and order) NRK Reddy.

Reddy, who didn’t reveal the identity of the person for safety reasons, said that the man stood between the angry mob and the cornered policemen and even spat on the matchsticks that were lit to burn the policemen.

“Crime has no caste and religion and it’s completely uncalled for to unnecessarily hype the death of a gangster,” said Reddy.

First Published: Jul 16, 2017 20:11 IST