Gehlot demands HC probe into Gujjar violence
Senior Congress leader Ashok Gehlot holds Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje responsible for the bloodshed during the ongoing Gujjar agitation for inclusion in the ST list.Updated: May 29, 2007 20:31 IST
Senior Congress leader Ashok Gehlot has held Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje 'fully responsbile' for the bloodshed during the ongoing Gujjar agitation for inclusion in the ST list.
Terming the incident as 'unfortunate,' the former chief minister on Tuesday demanded an inquiry by a sitting judge of the High Court into the violence.
Accusing the chief minister of disrupting communal harmony in the state, he held her responsible for fanning the reservation fire in the state. He said Raje during the 2003 Assembly elections, made false promises to pacify the various castes for electoral gains but later forgot them. This violence is the outburst of disillusionment among the people, he said.
Gehlot further said the Gujjar community has been agitating for reservation for the past one -year. Last year in September, after violence at Hindon, a cabinet sub committee was formed to look into the matter, which failed to come out with any solution.
He said the Gujjar community had warned of an agitation ten days back but the government had failed to open a channel of communication with the Gujjar leaders. Instead, it adopted a path of confrontation, which resulted in violence, and loss of life, he added.
First Published: May 29, 2007 20:29 IST