Want to make the perfect pasta at home? Follow these 10 tips by a chef
Here are common mistakes you can avoid, and ways to make pasta healthier. We also bring you a recipe for paprika fettuccine pasta.more lifestyle Updated: Sep 14, 2017 11:51 IST
The different kinds of pasta are definitely one of the most popular Italian foods across the world today. In India too, it enjoys great popularity, especially among the youth. Before you attempt to whip up the dish at home, check out this handy guide by the kitchen team of Le Café, Mumbai:
1.Always use all ingredients (flour, egg, salt, water) at room temperature while making the pasta dough.
2.While making/combining the dough, bind the egg and flour together first before adding any water or extra flour to it. Once the egg is completely mixed with the flour, if the dough is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water. If the dough turns out to be too moist, add another tablespoon of flour. Remember less is more.
3.Always rest the pasta dough at room temperature. If resting in refrigeration, it will require taking extra time to cool before it’s ready to roll, and the change in temperature will affect the gluten structure of the dough.
4.Cook the pasta in rapid boiling water, and as soon as you drop your pasta in the water, stir it. This prevents the pasta from sticking together, or to the bottom or sides of the pot. Stir occasionally during the cooking process.
5.Avoid adding oil to the water. You can always add a drizzle of olive oil or butter to add richness once the pasta is combined with sauce.
6.Drain the pasta enough to remove most of the water, but don’t drain it dry. When it cools down, the starches will firm up, leading the pasta to stick together.
7.Always add warm pasta to warm sauce, immediately. Never the other way round, in order to avoid sticky and gluey pasta.
8.To make pasta healthier, replace the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or, make the pasta dough using spinach or beetroot puree.
9.You can also add loads of veggies, and opt for lean proteins while making the pasta sauce.
10.Further, you can swap the heavy cream in the sauce for plain Greek yogurt.
Recipe for Fettuccine Pasta Paprika by Le Café
Raw fettucine pasta: 130gm; Herb oil: 5ml; Onion: 10gm; Garlic: 10gm; White wine: 10ml; Salt: 1gm; Crushed black pepper: 1gm; Paprika: 4gm; Sugar: 1gm; Veg stock: 50ml; Butter: 15ml; Cream sauce: 75ml; Parmesan cheese: 10gm; Tomato coulis: 30gm; Fresh thyme: 1gm; Cheddar cheese: 10gm; Broccoli: 25gm; Asparagus: 10gm
Part 1: Boil the Pasta
1. Keep water for boiling on one gas range to boil the pasta.
2. Add the pasta in the boiling water to cook.
3. Drain the cooked pasta and set aside, ready to be added in the sauce.
Part 2: Make the Sauce
1. In a skillet, ladle out the herb oil.
2. Add the chopped onion and garlic and let sizzle.
3. Add in the paprika, and mix in with the onion and garlic confit.
4. Add white wine, and let it combine with the complete mixture. Let the wine evaporate.
5. Add the tomato coulis once the white wine is evaporated, and mix in.
6. Add in the cream sauce, and mix in the overall mixture to form a sauce of medium consistency.
7. Add in the vegetable stock, if the sauce consistency needs to be thinned.
8. Add the parmesan and cheddar cheese to the sauce to thicken.
Part 3: Assemble
1. Add the pasta to the sauce, and mix in with the sauce ensuring the sauce is coating the pasta well.
2. Garnish with some parmesan cheese and basil.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more