Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety movie review: With all Pyaar Ka Punchnama faults and none of its jokes
Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety
Cast: Nushrat Barucha, Karthik Aryan, Sunny Singh
Director: Luv Ranjan
Bollywood films often begin with a disclaimer where filmmakers claim the story and characters in the film have no connection with any real person or incidents. I sincerely wish the disclaimer is 100% true for Luv Ranjan’s Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety. For, here’s a young guy who has no clue what he wants in life, a childhood friend who turns into Lalita Pawar-style mom-in-law every time he spots a girl near his friend, and a woman who claims to be ‘chalu’ but does everything that suits the bahus of a Sooraj Barjatya film. Have you met or heard of similar characters in real life? At least I haven’t.
Luv Ranjan — of Pyaar Ka Punchnama fame — is back with his team of actors, Nushrat Bharucha, Kartik Aaryan and Sunny Singh, and a new film, Sonu Ki Titu Ki Sweety. It is the story of a girlfriend and a friend fighting over the ‘possession’ of a man. Yep, this would be perhaps the first misogynist attempt where even a man has been objectified in the process.
The film opens with Kartik aka Sonu delivering a Pyaar Ka Punchnama-style speech; only he is talking about the illogical demands of a client. We are soon told, through a few more similar throwbacks to Ranjan’s past films, that Sonu runs an event management company and his friend Titu (Sunny) is an idiot who hooks up with all the wrong girls and doesn’t even realise they are fooling him. He only has Sonu to save him from the assaults the womankind has decided to wreck on him.
Enter Sweety (Nushrat) via the arranged marriage route and Sonu’s life is shaken to the core. Not only is he insecure of ‘losing’ his friend, he even believes Sweety is too good to be true. While the character is unreal, the only mean thing she does in the entire movie is to tell Sonu that she is ‘chalu’. The filmmaker wants us to believe she is a good-digger, with the ‘gold-digger’ song playing in the background, but the story offers nothing to substantiate the claims.
From pulling an ex in the fight to manipulating family members, Sonu does everything you can imagine in a saas-bahu fight (or maybe watch in a TV serial) in his bid to separate Sweety from Titu.
Right from Sonu asking Titu to get a better cook or maid instead of getting married to Sweety to threatening her with false cases, the script and dialogues reek of misogyny that even the two Pyaar Ka Punchnama films couldn’t bring together.
If there’s one fresh or slightly entertaining thing in the film, it is the pairing of Alok Nath and Virendra Saxena. Alok Nath shuns his sanskari image and dons the avatar of a cool granddad. Though his dialogues are also gender-biased, the novelty of watching Alok Nath in a non-sanskari garb can be fun. Saxena plays Alok Nath’s old friend and even with limited dialogues, he manages to keep the sequences interesting with his restrained acting.
The one thing that worked for Pyaar Ka Punchnama films was the relatability, even if it was restricted to guys-only discussions. Sonu Ke Titu Ki Sweety doesn’t have that, nor is it funny.
The author tweets as @swetakaushal
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Anita Hassanandani has shared new pictures and videos of her newborn son, Aaravv. Check them out here.
- Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
- Meghan Markle has been accused of bullying Palace staff members during her stay in 2018. While the Kensington Palace said that it is investigating the claims, Meghan's friends are coming to her defense.
- Actor Janhvi Kapoor, who turned 24 on Saturday, has spoken about the most valuable life lessons she learned from her parents, Boney Kapoor and Sridevi.
- Ranveer Singh took to Instagram and shared an old picture featuring Rohan Shrestha on the photographer's birthday. The photo was taken when they were 14.
- "I will not make the statement you want me to, take my smile instead," said Gul Panag, refusing to comment on statements made by several celebrities about the farmers' protest, in a video being widely shared online.
- Sidharth Shukla showered praise on Badshah and rumoured girlfriend Shehnaaz Gill's new music video, Fly.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut has said that she hasn't taken a single holiday in 2021, and has worked through her periods.
- Allu Arjun wished his wife Sneha Reddy on their 10th wedding anniversary with a picture from a visit to the Taj Mahal.
- The WandaVision finale premiered on Friday. X-Men star Sophie Turner took to Instagram and deemed it as the 'best show on TV.' Here's how fans have reacted.
- Actors Swara Bhasker, Richa Chadha, Tisca Chopra, Satyadeep Misra, Rajshri Deshpande and others took to social media to voice their support for Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap.
- Janhvi Kapoor had once revealed how her mother did not want her to join films. Sridevi felt her older daughter would not be able to survive in the industry.
- New behind-the-scenes photos from the sets of an advertisment capture Ranbir Kapoor's transformation into an old man.