New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Oct 14, 2019-Monday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Monday, Oct 14, 2019

Man loses job over monetary dispute, strangles five-year-old son of his brother in Mumbai

mumbai Updated: Sep 24, 2017 00:03 IST
Megha Sood
Megha Sood
Hindustan Times
Usiullah Shaikh was arrested within hours of police finding the child’s body.
Usiullah Shaikh was arrested within hours of police finding the child’s body.(HT)

To seek revenge from his brother, a 38-year-old man kidnapped and strangled his five-year-old nephew to death near a swamp at Wadala TT, said the Mumbai police.

The unit IV of the crime branch arrested Usiullah Shaikh from Shanti Nagar near his residence, just 11 hours after Tauseef was found dead on Friday morning.

Usiullah lived with his brother Naushad, who owned a tailoring workshop. According to the police, they had a fight over monetary issues a few days ago, which led Naushad to fire his brother. Insulted, Usiullah decided to kidnap his nephew to seek revenge, an officer said.

After the child’s body was found, the crime branch CCTV cameras and found a man clad a lungi was taking Tauseef somewhere. Locals residents told the police that the man resembled Usiullah.

“We nabbed Usiullah from the area where he was loitering. Upon searching his belongings, we found the same lungi. He was arrested on the charges of kidnapping and murder. He confessed to the crime,” said the officer.

Naushad, who is devastated by the death of his son, said that on Thursday after attending school, Tauseef had come home at 6pm along with his eight-year-old sister, who goes to the Mhada municipal school in Wadala. “After coming home, Tauseef went out to play. When he did not return even after at 8pm, we panicked and searched for him. The entire locality was trying to find him and even the mosque made announcements. But we could not find him,” said Naushad.

After a brief search Naushad went to the Wadala TT police station and registered a complaint. “In the morning a few men who had gone relieve themselves at the swamp near the Madina mosque in Shanti Nagar informed us that they had seen a child’s body there. We ran at the spot and found Tauseef lying dead there. The police arrived and sent the body to the Sion Hospital for a post-mortem,” said Naushad.

First Published: Sep 24, 2017 00:03 IST

top news