Fireman booked for colleague’s death: charge ‘surprises’ Bombay HC
The Bombay high court on Tuesday expressed surprise at the charge sheet filed against a fire officer, who had been booked for negligence after his colleague died while saving a crow caught in a kite string.Updated: Jun 17, 2015 21:48 IST
The Bombay high court on Tuesday expressed surprise at the charge sheet filed against a fire officer, who had been booked for negligence after his colleague died while saving a crow caught in a kite string.
A division bench of justice Ranjit More and justice Anuja Prabhudessai was hearing a petition seeking to quash the FIR lodged against the fireman, who has been in service for the past 19 years.
The petition states that in December 2014, Makrand Surve, 45, an officer-in-charge of Indira dock fire station, led a team to rescue a crow stuck in a tree’s branch at a height of 25 feet.
In the process, fireman Umesh Parvate reached the rooftop of a godown, whose asbestos sheet cracked and he fell down. He sustained several head injuries and was rushed to JJ Hospital, Marine Lines, but died on the way.
The Dongri police station registered a FIR, charging Surve with section 304A Indian Penal Code (death caused due to negligence).
Surve’s advocate submitted that no wrong was found against the fireman in the departmental enquiry. He further said if such cases are filed against public officials while discharging their duty, it would be difficult for them to conduct their work for the benefit of the general public.
The court, too, expressed surprise at the charge sheet. The court adjourned the matter for two weeks.
First Published: Jun 17, 2015 21:44 IST