Greater Noida authority submits report on Shahberi collapse
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 20, 2019-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Greater Noida authority submits report on Shahberi collapse

Nine people had been killed on the night of July 17 when an illegal under-construction building fell on an adjacent building in the congested Shahberi village of Bisrakh.

noida Updated: Aug 28, 2018 03:56 IST
Preety Acharya
Preety Acharya
Hindustan Times, Noida
Greater Noida,Authority,Shahberi
The twin building collapse in Shahberi village of Greater Noida on July 27 had resulted in the death of nine persons. (HT FILE)

The Greater Noida authority submitted its report regarding the action it took to stop illegal construction in Shahberi to the additional district magistrate (ADM) heading the inquiry on Monday.

Nine people had been killed on the night of July 17 when an illegal under-construction building fell on an adjacent building in the congested Shahberi village of Bisrakh. The chief minister’s office had asked the Gautam Budh Nagar administration to expedite a report of the collapse. All departments, except the Greater Noida authority, had filed their reports.

Senior administration officials are yet to go through the authority’s report in a detailed manner. In the report, the authority stated that it has registered FIRs against over 100 people for their involvement in illegal construction.

“I am yet to go through the report thoroughly, but prima facie, the Greater Noida authority has claimed it has booked over 100 people in order to curb illegal construction. We have to analyse the situation before coming to a conclusion,” Diwakar Singh, ADM, said.

“The ADM has just received the report and he will be going through it thoroughly. We will be able to complete the final inquiry report only after going through the report submitted by the authority,” BN Singh, district magistrate, said.

The authority has informed the administration that it has registered FIRs against 129 people and served 142 notices to various builders constructing various projects in and around Shahberi.

According to senior administration officials, the authority has said that after a 2011 Supreme Court order quashed the acquisition of agricultural land in Shahberi, illegal construction started taking place.

The Greater Noida authority has alleged that after the SC order, land was given back to farmers and other land owners. Builders started developing small group housing projects without obtaining approvals from any authority.

According to officials, many farmers and other land owners had, in May 2012, through a proposal sought permission from the Greater Noida authority to develop planned housing projects. But the authority had refused on the grounds that since it has not allotted the land, it could not give the permission.

The authority was the last department to submit its report after multiple reminders from the administration. The final report has been delayed by around a month; it was supposed to be completed on August 3.

First Published: Aug 28, 2018 03:56 IST