UFC: Jon Jones calls out Brock Lesnar for ‘superfight’ after conquering Daniel Cormier
Jon Jones made short work of Daniel Cormier in their UFC 214 bout and after the match, he challenges Brock Lesnar to a battle of heavyweights.Updated: Jul 31, 2017 10:48 IST
Jon Jones has his sights set on Brock Lesnar after reclaimingthe UFC light heavyweight title with a third-roundknockout of Daniel Cormier at UFC 214.
The 30-year-old was stripped of his title twice, the first time in April 2015 after beating Cormier three months prior, but he regained the belt following a monstrous headkick, which led to the deposed champion’s first career stoppage.
In his post-fightinterview, Jones sent a message to Lesnar - the former heavyweight champion who is currently suspended by the United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) after two failed drugs tests around UFC 200 in July 2016.
“Brock Lesnar. If you want to know what it feels like to get your ass kicked by a guy who weighs 40 pounds less than you,meet me in the octagon,” he said, before dropping the mic.
Speaking with Fox Sports afterwards, Jones elaborated on why he would like to go up against Lesnar.
“I’m up for it. I think it’s about time for me to be involved in a super-fight,” he said.
“I think it’s what the fans want to see, me challenge myself against a heavyweight. Why not do it against one of the biggest and most scary heavyweights? He brings a huge following, so why not?”
While UFC president Dana White admitted it would make for an intriguing match-up, he insisted there is no chance of it happening any time soon. A UFC official last week deniedrumours Lesnar has re-entered USADA’s testing pool, creating uncertainty as to when he couldreturn to action.
“I haven’t talked to Brock but apparently Brock did say he wantedto fight Jon Jones and Jon Jones has just said he wants to fight Brock Lesnar so we’ll see what happens,” White told Fox Sports.
“I haven’t talked to Brock Lesnar, I don’t even know wherehis status is right now as far as USADA goes and if he came back with USADA I think it takes six months until he’d be able to fight anyway.”
@JonnyBones congrats Champ. Stop asking for retired fighters, I’ve been waiting to put my hands on you and so have all the fans.— Alexander Gustafsson (@AlexTheMauler) July 30, 2017
However, Alexander Gustafsson – who came close to defeating Jones in a memorable battle at UFC 165 – is hoping he will be the next challenger for the newly crowned light heavyweight champion.
“Congrats, Champ,” Gustafsson wrote in a tweet to Jones. “Stop asking for retired fighters, I’ve been waiting to put my hands on you and so have all the fans.”
First Published: Jul 31, 2017 10:48 IST