Wong braves pain barrier to keep cycling
Days after she suffered a fractured rib in a spectacular pile-up on the track, Hong Kong's "miracle" cyclist and silver medallist Wong Wan Yiu is back on the saddle and eager for more glory.
Wong finished a lowly eighth in Saturday's individual road time trial at the Asian Games, but said she was just happy to be competing after a huge crash four days earlier that left another Hong Kong rider with a dislocated shoulder.
"It still hurts when I take deep breaths," said Wong, who sobbed in pain as she stood gingerly on the podium to collect her silver in the incident-packed women's points race last Tuesday.
"I've dedicated myself to this competition for such a long time," she said of the Games, adding, "The crash has inspired me to carry on."
Wong is scheduled to take part in the individual road race on Tuesday, but is not aiming high. "I managed to finish the race, so it was not too bad," she said after the time trial.
"I have achieved my goal." Her coach, Shen Jinkang, had called the 24-year-old's silver-winning display a "miracle" after she was sent flying off her bike and smashed in the ribs by another cyclist as she lay prone on the track.
But she got up, picked up her bike and managed to finish in second. She was later taken to hospital in a wheelchair.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Three in men's recurve and three in women's recurve have made to the Indian Archery team for the Tokyo Olympics.
- Humpy bagged the award after receiving the highest number of votes from the fans.
- Achanta Sharath Kamal, Sathiyan Gnanasekaran and Manika Batra started their campaign at the WTT Star Contender Doha on a winning note.
- Seven of India’s nine Tokyo Olympics-bound boxers won medals, some of them beating world class boxers. Manish Kaushik (63kg) was the star as he made an impressive return from injury–tear in the biceps required surgery in May—and won gold in his first event after the tough recovery phase.
- The Belarusian coach, who mentored India’s top women distance runners to international medals, was found dead at NIS Patiala on Friday