Arms dealers Nagori , Khandelwal await discharge in Dabholkar murder case
The application moved by arms dealers Manish Nagori and Vilas Khandelwal before the court seeking discharge from the murder case is pending for the past few years.Updated: Aug 28, 2018 14:52 IST
While the Central bureau of investigation (CBI) has made fresh arrests in connection with the rationalist Narendra Dabholkar murder case, two persons arrested immediately after the incident in 2013 await closure report.
The application moved by arms dealers Manish Nagori and Vilas Khandelwal before the court seeking discharge from the murder case is pending for the past few years.
Around six months ago, advocate BA Aloor representing the duo filed an application before the court of justice VB Gulve Patil seeking discharge of the duo from the case and requested the police to file the closure report at the earliest. Aloor also requested the defence and the prosecution to file their say before the court and requested the court to direct the police to file the closure report as they don’t have any role in the case.
CBI counsel Vijaykumar Dhakane said that he had been instructed by the agency not to speak to the media since he was not authorised. The CBI last week arrested Sachin Andure, the second apprehension in the case. Earlier, the agency arrested Virendra Tawade, a member of Sanatan Sanstha.
Nagori and Khandelwal were arrested on November 28, 2013 by the Pune police in connection with the shooting of security guard Prahlad Jogdandkar at the Savitribai Phule Pune University campus on May 3, 2012.
The duo was then arrested in yet another case by the Pune police on December 13, 2013, for the murder of a 30-year-old person in Hinjewadi. On January 20, 2014, the Pune city police arrested Nagori and Khandelwal for the murder of Dabholkar. The duo told the court that the then anti-terrorism squad (ATS) chief Rakesh Maria had offered them a bribe of Rs 25 lakh to own up their role in the murder of Dabholkar.
Following the arrest, the duo was released on bail as prosecution failed to submit the charge sheet.
On November 20, 2013, the ATS wrote to the Pune police, which was investigating the Dabholkar murder case at that time, about the ballistic report about a weapon which allegedly suggested that it was seized from the possession of Khandelwal and matched with the ‘markings’ on a cartridge recovered from the spot where Dabholkar was murdered.
The duo further alleged that narco and lie-detector tests were conducted on them when they were held in police custody. The two of them were let off on bail by the court after a few months and since then have not figured in the conspiracy of murder.
First Published: Aug 28, 2018 14:52 IST