New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Feb 20, 2020-Thursday
-°C

Humidity
-

Wind
-

Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Home / Pune News / Post pest control, retired banker couple suffocate to death at Pune home

Post pest control, retired banker couple suffocate to death at Pune home

Harmful gases still in the air as windows were closed and there was no room for circulation. The couple did not take necessary precautions which led to the tragedy, say police

pune Updated: Feb 14, 2020 16:30 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Pune
The deceased, identified as Aparna Majali (54) and her husband Avinash (64), were residents of Ganesh Vihar Society, Bibvewadi, and were retired bankers.
The deceased, identified as Aparna Majali (54) and her husband Avinash (64), were residents of Ganesh Vihar Society, Bibvewadi, and were retired bankers.(HT/PHOTO)

A man and his wife choked to death, at Bibvewadi society after they faced severe breathing difficulties due to pesticides sprayed at their residence on Tuesday.

The deceased, identified as Aparna Majali (54) and her husband Avinash (64), were residents of Ganesh Vihar Society, Bibvewadi, and were retired bankers, said police.

Investigators said that the flat had been sprayed with disinfectants by a pest control service on the morning of February 11.

The couple had gone to the residence of their relatives and returned to their flat in the evening.

Little did they realise that the harmful gases were still in the air as the windows were closed and there was no room for air circulation.

Affected by the toxic gases, Avinash collapsed on the ground and could hardly breathe while his wife developed serious respiratory complications.

Their daughter came at around 7 pm and was shocked to see her parents in serious conditions and raised an alarm for help. The neighbours immediately rushed them to the nearby Chintamani Hospital from where they were taken to the critical care unit of the super-speciality Sahyadri Hospital, which was about 45 minutes away. They were, however, proclaimed dead on arrival.

Assistant police inspector (API) RS Usgaonkar, the investigating officer in the case said that the coupe did not take the necessary precautions which led to the tragedy. “The deceased couple were retired bankers and were staying in the flat on rental basis. We could not gather many details as the family members were shocked. We will record their statement in couple of days. The flat is currently locked for further investigations,” he said.

The neighbours described the couple as gentle and reserved.

Sushil Pendharkar, a society resident said, “The couple rented out a flat in the building six months ago. They lived a peaceful, retired life. We would see them in the mornings and evenings when they stepped out for their walks. The couple was reserved, yet cheerful whenever they spoke to the other residents of the society.”

Did pest control service not have a valid license?

The Bibvewadi police claim that they are investigating whether the Om Sai Pest Control Service, which was used by the duo have a license to conduct its operations.

The owner of the Om Sai Pest Control Service who requested not to be named said that he has a legal licence for the pest control business and there was nothing wrong in the service that was provided to the couple.

“They are our old customers. We do our job with all the safety and precaution for all our customers,” he said.

Past cases

March 6, 2019

Two men, identified as, Ajay Beldar (20) from Jalgaon and Ananta Khedkar (20) from Buldhana, working in the canteen of a college in Pune were found dead on March 6, 2019 inside their room, which had been fumigated for pest control. The duo had gone to their friend’s place to stay for two days, they returned on March 5, 2019, and were found dead the next morning. Police suspect that they died of suffocation due to inhalation of poisonous fumes.

November 1, 2015

Dhawal Shankar Lagadiya (24), a resident of Yamunanagar in Nigdi and his friend identified as Mandira Ramlal Chaudhari (26), a resident of CRPF in Talegaon, died an unnatural death by alleged pesticide poisoning on November 1, 2015. The duo decided to pest control their house as part of pe-Diwali cleaning. As per the postmortem report the death was due to toxic fumes.