Jat body threatens to resume stir for reservation benefits
The Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti on Wednesday threatened to resume its nationwide agitation in May if Jats were not permanently included in the reserved category.punjab Updated: Mar 25, 2015 21:08 IST
The Jat Aarakshan Sangharsh Samiti on Wednesday threatened to resume its nationwide agitation in May if Jats were not permanently included in the reserved category.
At a meeting held at Jat Bhawan here, Samiti president Col OP Sindhu (retd) said the community was shocked over the Supreme Court's decision to exclude the Jat community from the reserved category under the other backward classes (OBCs).
Sindhu said that the community would also explore the legal option of moving a higher bench of the apex court.
Gives May 10 deadline
He said a massive agitation would be started from Jantar Mantar in New Delhi if the government did not initiate appropriate steps to include Jats under the reserved category by May 10.
He said that the Samiti has started sensitising the community about the apex court ruling against reservation on the caste lines.
"Jats are a backward peasant community and the community deserves reservation benefits in all spheres. Only 10% Jats may be affluent, but we are fighting for social uplift of the remaining 90%. The previous (UPA) government at the Centre had duly accepted our demand, but we are disheartened with the apex court's ruling," said Sindhu.
Ashok Madina, national spokesman of the said that Jat representatives were scheduled to hold a meeting with the chief minister Manohar Lal Khattar on Wednesday in Chandigarh to deliberate upon our long pending demand for inclusion of Jats in the reserved category.
"We will block entry points to Delhi and cut all food, water and milk supply from May 11 if our justified demand is not met by the government," said Madina.
In October last year, Sindhu had announced to extend support to the Congress in the state assembly elections.The Samiti, which was spearheading the agitation for reservation of Jats, had unanimously decided to support the Congress to ensure that Bhupinder Singh Hooda retains power for a third consecutive term.
However, Sindhu on Wednesady said that the upcoming movement for job reservation would be an apolitical agitation where committed activists from the community would lead the movement.
First Published: Mar 25, 2015 20:57 IST