Mother, son killed, 32 hurt in cylinder blast in Ludhiana
The incident occurred at 7am; the LPG cylinder was leaking. After the electricity supply to the area was restored at 6.45am after a brief power cut, the cylinder caught fire.Updated: Apr 27, 2018 09:36 IST
Hindustan Times, Ludhiana
A gas cylinder exploded in a labour colony in Giaspura area of the city on Thursday morning, killing a woman and injuring 33 people, 16 of whom were stated to be critical.
The cylinder explosion took place at 6.45am in a house belonging to Ashok Kumar Yadav in Smart Colony. The gas cylinder caught fire and when Ashok, his wife and some neighbours tried to put out the flames, the cylinder exploded causing injuries to those who had gathered around the spot. A wall of the building also collapsed, police said.
Punjab: 24 people injured in a gas cylinder explosion, in Ludhiana's Giaspura; Injured admitted to the hospital— ANI (@ANI) April 26, 2018
Sunita Rani Yadav, 40, of Pratapgarh in Uttar Pradesh, suffered 100% burns and died in the evening at Christian Medical College and Hospital (CMCH). Her husband, two daughters and a son received critical injuries. Sunita’s brother-in-law, Dharmendra, the only surviving resident in the house where the blast occurred, had gone to buy milk. The house is surrounding by “vehras”, inhabited by labourers.
Sunita’s son, 14-year-old Raj also succumbed to burn injuries late in the evening at CMCH. He had received 90% burns.
Two victims have been referred to the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, in a critical condition.
Ludhiana mayor Balkar Singh Sandhu has announced free treatment to all patients.
“I was shocked seeing people caught in flames and crying for help. Police were informed and rescue operation was initiated with the help of locals,” said Dharminder, adding that the fire brigade reached the spot at 8am. By then, the flames had been doused, he said.
Focal Point station house officer Amandeep Singh Brar said instead of waiting for ambulances, some victims were taken to the hospital in police vehicles. “The LPG cylinder at Ashok’s house was leaking. After the electricity supply to the area was restored at 6.45am after a brief power cut, the cylinder caught fire,” the SHO said.
Sub-divisional magistrate (SDM, east) Amarjit Bains said the administration has contacted the gas company to provide insurance cover to the victims.
First Published: Apr 26, 2018 10:07 IST