New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Nov 16, 2019-Saturday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Saturday, Nov 16, 2019

Ludhiana cylinder blast: toll now 3 as woman dies of burn injuries

The chief minister Amarinder Singh has ordered an inquiry into the incident

punjab Updated: Apr 28, 2018 12:48 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Ludhiana
Police personnel investigating the spot after LPG cylinder blast in Giaspura locality, Ludhiana, on Thursday morning.
Police personnel investigating the spot after LPG cylinder blast in Giaspura locality, Ludhiana, on Thursday morning. (Gurpreet Singh/HT)

With 36-year-old Shashi Singh’s death, the toll has reached to three in the LPG cylinder explosion that took place at a house in the congested streets of New Samrat Colony, Giaspura, on Thursday. Singh who breathed her last at GTB Hospital on Friday is survived by her husband Yashwant Singh and two sons, Gaurav, 20, and Aryan, 12.

Yashwant also suffered burn injuries and was admitted to ESI The couple residing in the neighbourhood was among those who had come there for rescue. The deceased Shashi Singh suffered 60 % burns. The doctors said that she the victim was under shock and had suffered third-degree burns in the incident.

Yashwant who is undergoing treatment at the ESI hospital has also suffered 50% burns. Yashwant’s younger brother Manoj said, his brother and sister-in-law were taken to the ESI Hospital as they were ESI card holders. However, doctors referred Shashi to GTB hospital as she was critically injured. Her body was sent to civil hospital for post-mortem.

New Samrat Colony resident Dharmindra Yadav at whose house the explosion took place said, there was a power cut at 6.15 am in the morning and he had gone to market while the other family members were sleeping.

At around 6:45 am, when he was at a grocery store, he heard an explosion.“I though it was the sound of some explosive at a nearby factory,” he said. “When I saw smoke and flames emitting from my house, I rushed inside, said Dharmindra.

Before he could reach the house, locals had already thronged there for the rescue of his family members. As the people opened the gate to enter the house, a fireball of gas gushed out of the house leaving the rescuers injured.

Victims Sunita ,40, and her son Raj ,14, who had died on Thursday evening, were cremated on Friday while her husband Ashok and daughters Pooja and Kajal are undergoing treatment at Christian Medical College and Hospital.