Now, get a licence right after clearing driving test in Mohali
New automated driving track to be inaugurated tomorrow at Papri village in Sector 82; applicant can re-take test within two weekspunjab Updated: Apr 22, 2016 15:58 IST
From Thursday (April 21), residents of SAS Nagar can get a driving licence in half-an-hour provided they clear a computerised driving test at the newly-built automated driving track at Papri village in Sector 82. The Rs 1.5 crore facility that will also function as a training centre is spread over 3.5 acres and will be inaugurated by Punjab chief parliamentary secretary, industry and commerce, NK Sharma on Thursday.
The setting up of the new track is part of a Punjab government initiative under which 32 such facilities are being established across the state.
“The automated driving test will bring transparency in the process of issuing the driving licence,” said deputy commissioner DS Mangat.
“Licences will be issued only to eligible applicants who clear the driving test on the facility,” he added. There are two testing facilities at the track, one for two-wheelers and the second for four-wheelers.
A driving licence will be issued immediately after passing the test at the tracks where signage and lights have been provided. A doctor will also be available at the centre for conducting a medical fitness test.
District transport officer Karan Singh said the centre had been equipped with CCTVs and the process of issue of licences will be computerised. “An applicant has to pass the driving test after which the licence will be issued the same day.”
Facilities at the centre
- The track is equipped with nine closed-circuit television (CCTVs) cameras and four sensors to help conduct the driving test. Motion sensors and webcasting facility has also been provided
- The centre will record fingerprints and also take the biometric of an applicant to rule out impersonation during the driving test
- Minimum score of 80 on 100 needed to clear test
- For obtaining a new driving licence, the applicants have to submit their form. They will then be issued a token.
- Requisite fee will be then deposited
- Driving test will be conducted on the track after the medical check-up.
- If the driving test is cleared, the licence will be issued immediately
- If the test is not cleared, the applicant would be allowed to take the test again within two weeks
First Published: Apr 20, 2016 12:43 IST