Who are the Namdharis? 5 things you should know
Chand Kaur, wife of late Namdhari sect head Jagjit Singh, was shot dead by unidentified assailants on Monday morning and succumbed to her injuries at around 2 pm. Here are 5 things you should know about teh sect, their following and their history:punjab Updated: Apr 05, 2016 11:33 IST
1. An offshoot of Sikhism, the Namdhari sect was founded in the 18th century by Bhai Ram Singh.
2. Like Sikhs, Namdharis rever Guru Granth Sahib and all Sikh gurus starting from Guru Nanak Dev to Guru Gobind Singh but believe the line of gurus did not end with the latter.
3. They launched a civil disobedience movement against British called Kuka Movement and a group of 66 Namdhari Sikhs were blown up by a canon in 1872 for protesting against the British.
4. Namdharis are different from the Sikh faith in following a living guru, vegetarianism, a distinct white dress code and turbans and austerity in everyday living. The sect has lakhs of followers in India and abroad.
5. The sect has been embroiled in a raging and vicious succession row since its spiritual head Satguru Jagjit Singh’s health started deteriorating in early 2000 and continues after death in December.2012
First Published: Apr 05, 2016 11:32 IST