Riya Sen and mother Moonmoon Sen play mother-daughter roles on screen
Moonmoon Sen and Riya Sen are playing out their mother-daughter relationship on screen for the first time.Both are excited to see how the idea shapes up in the film Kolkata Calling, which is a collage of three stories set in the 70s and 80s, directed by Mainak Bhowmik.
Moonmoon said that Mainak was persistent that they did the scenes together."We two feature in one of the three stories and Raima
appears in another story. So you might dub it as a film where all three of us are part of it."
She said that she had earlier done ad shoots with Riya and a telefilm with Raima."However, this is the first time we have fully fleshed
out characters. Maybe I am not exactly happy with my role, but the youth will identify with the subject," Moonmoon said.
She said she would like to do new challenging roles, provided the young group of directors want her. Riya, who had earned critical acclaim for her role in Rituparno Ghosh's Noukadubi, said, "Maa has three scenes in the film and they are intense ones. Scene-wise the figure may be small but each frame is detailed and embedded with the story."
Riya said the Sen women didn't think about doing a film together, but since it is Mainak's story, they agreed because he treated women's issues and relationships very well.
"As we understand each other, Maa wishes to be around whenever I shoot for a film," she said.
Riya's role in the latest film of Srijit Mukherjee Jaatiswar also won praise from critics."I enjoy the new innings in Bengali films. Happy to see how different subjects and portrayals of characters are being appreciated and I hope we will also be applauded as mother-daughter."
Riya said that Kolkata Calling was not entirely a retro film. "It is a mixture where there are contemporary references and I play a 22-year old."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.
- Divya Dutta has expressed her displeasure at being labeled as a supporting actor, insisting she loves playing all kinds of roles.
- Late Pratyusha Banerjee's ex-boyfriend, Rahul Raj Singh, has said that he is waiting for the day that karma punishes Kamya Panjabi and Vikas Gupta. Both Vikas and Kamya have spoken against Rahul in Pratyusha's suicide case.
- Actor Parineeti Chopra's long-awaited biopic of badminton ace Saina Nehwal has been given a release date. Watch the first teaser here.
- Actor Ileana D'Cruz was asked during an Instagram Ask Me Anything session if she's ever had any cosmetic surgeries done. Here's what she said.
- Rubina Dilaik, Abhinav Shukla, Nikki Tamboli, Arshi Khan, and Jaan Kumar Sanu attended a Bigg Boss 14 bash thrown by Rahul Mahajan and his wife, Natalya.
- Kangana Ranaut says that a new FIR has been registered against her, this time over her tweets on farmers agitation against the farm bills.
- Tara Sutaria shared the first poster of her upcoming movie Tadap. Her boyfriend Aadar Jain shared the poster on his Instagram Stories and expressed his excitement.
- Bigg Boss 14 contestant Jasmin Bhasin took to Twitter to urge her fans to not spread negativity. Her tweet came amid social media wars between her fans and those of Rubina Dilaik.