Sufiyum Sujatayum director Naranipuzha Shanavas passes away in Kochi
Filmmaker Naranipuzha Shanavas, who is best known for his work in Malayalam romantic drama Sufiyum Sujatayum, passed away in Kochi on late Wednesday night in a private hospital. He was in his 40s.
After suffering a cardiac arrest while working for his next project in Coimbatore last week, Shanavas was admitted to a hospital where he was put on a ventilator and declared brain dead on Tuesday. On Wednesday, he was brought to Aster Medcity in Kochi.
Shanavas’s film Sufiyum Sujatayum was the first Malayalam film to opt for direct-OTT release in 2020. It premiered on Amazon Prime a few months ago. The film starred Aditi Rao Hydari and Jayasurya in the lead.
As per a report by The News Minute, “Shanavas was admitted to the intensive care unit of KG Hospital in Coimbatore after going into a cardiogenic shock during the shooting of his upcoming film in Attapadi. His condition continued to remain serious, and he was on ventilator support for days. A cardiogenic shock stops the heart from being able to pump enough blood needed for the body, and is mostly followed after a heart attack.”
Upon hearing Shanavas’s untimely demise, Aditi Rao Hydari wrote on her Facebook page: “As kind and sensitive as his stories. Rest in Peace Shanavas sir. I Hope your Sufi soul finds a place as beautiful as the one you created for us in Sufiyum Sujatayum. Gone too soon. My prayers and condolences to the family,” she wrote on Facebook.
Shanavas made his debut as a filmmaker with Malayalam film Karie, which was about caste discrimination and is centered on a man from an oppressed caste.
Follow @htshowbiz on Twitter
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Ankita Lokhande has defended Mahhi Vij and Jay Bhanushali against allegations that they abandoned their foster children.
- Karan Johar took to Instagram and shared a video of his children Roohi and Yash role-playing as a mother-son duo.
- Shraddha Kapoor and Ranveer Singh were spotted at the birthday bash of her rumoured boyfriend, celebrity photographer Rohan Shrestha. See pictures here.
- Kangana Ranaut has said that she did Queen 'for money' and never thought it would even be released. The film celebrates its seventh anniversary on Sunday.
- Kamya Panjabi was married to businessman Bunty Negi for 10 years before she gave up and walked out of the marriage in 2013. In a new interview, she recalls the day she left.
- Pictures of Shah Rukh Khan at his parents' grave site in New Delhi showed the actor paying his respects. Shah Rukh's parents died when he was very young.
- Pooja Bhatt has revealed the advice her father Mahesh Bhatt gave her before shooting a romantic scene with Sanjay Dutt in Sadak.
- Sonam Kapoor, who lives in London, shared a throwback picture from their childhood to wish Janhvi Kapoor on her birthday. See here.
- An unseen picture of Saif Ali Khan with his son Ibrahim Ali Khan from latter's birthday bash has surfaced online. See it here.
- Priyanka Chopra has shared information about a new restaurant called Sona in New York. She has been creatively involved with it from contributing in its design, menu, music and even with its name.
- Elli AvrRam has shared the first look of her upcoming dance number with Aamir Khan, from the film Koi Jaane Na.