UPDATED ON JUL 07, 2021 05:58 PM IST
From the late 19th century to 1960, thousands of artworks including wooden statues, elephant ivory masks, manuscripts and musical instruments were likely taken by Belgian and other European collectors, scientists, explorers and soldiers from Democratic Republic of Congo
By Trisha Sengupta
PUBLISHED ON JUN 26, 2021 10:23 AM IST
The post by Natural History Museum has left people in awe.
UPDATED ON JUN 13, 2021 06:19 PM IST
- New York-based Morgan Art Foundation intends to work with the Maine-based Star of Hope Foundation, which aims to transform Robert Indiana’s island home into a museum. Indiana created a lifetime of art but he’s best known for LOVE, spelled with two letters to a line and with a tilted “O.”
AP | , Santa Fe
PUBLISHED ON JUN 09, 2021 08:49 AM IST
The new 54,000-square-foot museum will be built on the site of a former Safeway grocery store, which is currently occupied by the museum’s Education Centre and Prima Title, The Santa Fe New Mexican reported. It is estimated to cost $60 million.
UPDATED ON JUN 06, 2021 06:27 PM IST
- Paris' acclaimed Pompidou Center announces plans to open a satellite museum in New Jersey's Jersey City, not far from where the Statue of Liberty stands in New York Harbour. Centre Pompidou x Jersey City, scheduled to open in 2024, would be the French museum's first venture in North America
UPDATED ON JUN 01, 2021 12:19 PM IST
1000-year-old sandstone artefacts of Hindu deities Indra and Yama finally returned to Thailand from US after being stolen half-a century ago
UPDATED ON MAY 26, 2021 08:24 AM IST
- San Francisco, which owns the museum, agreed to hand over the ancient sandstone slabs following a three-year investigation by the US Department of Homeland Security and a civil lawsuit. The lintels had been structural parts of two religious sanctuaries in northeastern Thailand.
UPDATED ON MAY 25, 2021 11:53 AM IST
- Surrealist artist Leonora Carrington's home in Mexico City will open to the public as a museum displaying some of her works and possessions. The opening date will depend on the evolution of the coronavirus pandemic in Mexico
UPDATED ON MAY 18, 2021 12:39 PM IST
Musee d'Orsay in Paris is ready for the doors to open to public on Wednesday after six months with no visitors because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
UPDATED ON MAY 13, 2021 02:01 PM IST
- Marina Abramovic wins Spanish art prize worth 50,000-euro ($56,700). Her works include “The Artist is Present,” in which she spent 716 hours sitting still while thousands of museum-goers took turns sitting in front of her and sharing one another’s gaze.
By Zarafshan Shiraz
UPDATED ON MAY 10, 2021 04:48 PM IST
- Shahid Kapoor tries dispelling the surrounding Covid-19 gloom by sharing a ‘picture of happiness’ by well-known Turkish painter Abidin Dino and we are taking a leaf out of his message of positivity this Monday
UPDATED ON APR 05, 2021 09:25 PM IST
Envisaged by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, construction of the 'Ramayana Museum and Cultural Center' is proposed to take shape in about 10 acres of land marked on the Lucknow-Ayodhya highway, 54 km from Lucknow and 64 km from Ayodhya.
UPDATED ON APR 03, 2021 05:26 PM IST
- Cairo authorities are shutting down roads along the Nile for a grand parade that will convey 22 Egyptian mummies of pharaohs to a new museum home which is expected to drum up interest in Egypt's rich collections of antiquities amid stalled tourism during Covid-19
AP | , Tel Aviv, Israel
PUBLISHED ON MAR 11, 2021 07:06 PM IST
From Queen Salome to the late RBG, from Moses to Sandy Koufax, Tel Aviv's newly revamped Museum of the Jewish People attempts the ambitious undertaking of bringing almost 3,000 years of Jewish history and tradition under a single roof.
By hindustantimes.com, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
PUBLISHED ON MAR 05, 2021 09:19 PM IST
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.
Reuters | , Berlin
PUBLISHED ON MAR 04, 2021 07:10 PM IST
Through the cold winter months, Berlin's museum directors have been custodians of silence. With doors closed to visitors due to the pandemic, artworks have languished hidden from view, but now curators are looking forward to reopening.
AP | , Indianapolis
PUBLISHED ON FEB 15, 2021 10:19 PM IST
The Indianapolis Museum of Art at Newfields has apologized for a job listing seeking a new director who would maintain the museum’s “traditional, core, white art audience.”
Reuters | , Perpignan, France
PUBLISHED ON FEB 10, 2021 11:30 AM IST
The mayor of the French city of Perpignan on Tuesday defied the government's Covid-19 restrictions and reopened four of the city's museums.
UPDATED ON FEB 10, 2021 08:21 AM IST
- Access to Leonardo da Vinci’s masterpiece 'Last Supper', housed inside the refectory of the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie, resumed Tuesday to just eight viewers every 15 minutes in the first week of reopening
AP | , Nashville
UPDATED ON FEB 06, 2021 07:50 AM IST
- The National Museum of African American Music, which opened recently, recites the interconnected story of Black music through different eras in America
AP | , Tirana
PUBLISHED ON FEB 05, 2021 09:04 AM IST
- A posthumous museum, built for Albania's communist-era strongman, Enver Hoxha is being converted into a youth training and art centre
AP | , Huntsville
PUBLISHED ON JAN 21, 2021 09:48 AM IST
The US Space & Rocket Center in Alabama will be restoring the space shuttle mockup that has been standing outside the museum for over three decades. The restoration process will be a multimillion dollar project and will take up several years.
PTI | , Kochi
UPDATED ON JAN 17, 2021 05:08 PM IST
- Labour Movement museum, that is opening up in Alappuzha, Kerala, will the the first of its kind museum in India. It will showcase the history of world labour movement through huge repository of documents and exhibits.
Govt allows museums and art galleries to open from Nov 10, SOPs say use of touch-based digital tech to be limited
New Delhi | By Press Trust of India | Posted by Kanishka Sarkar
UPDATED ON NOV 05, 2020 05:32 PM IST
While it has made sanitization of premises at regular intervals and wearing of masks by all visitors mandatory, the standard operating procedures (SoPs) have also barred use of audio guides unless they can be disinfected after every use.
Hindustan Times, Guwahati | By Utpal Parashar
PUBLISHED ON OCT 26, 2020 03:51 PM IST
Assam Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said the government will not allow such a museum dedicated to a particularly community to be set up Srimanta Sankardeva Kalakshetra that could “distort” Assamese culture.
Upcoming ‘Mughal museum’ renamed after Chhatrapati Shivaji in Agra will house artefacts from Braj region as well
Lucknow | By Press Trust of India | Posted by: Alfea Jamal
UPDATED ON SEP 16, 2020 09:47 PM IST
An upcoming “Mughal museum” in Agra which has been renamed after Maratha warrior king Chhatrapati Shivaji will house artefacts from Braj region of Uttar Pradesh as well, a senior government official said on Wednesday.
Hindustan Times, Lucknow | By HT Correspondent
PUBLISHED ON SEP 16, 2020 04:51 PM IST
Braj, also known as Brij or Brijbhoomi, is the region around Mathura-Vrindavan and is considered to be the land of Lord Krishna
By Bloomberg | Posted by Zarafshan Shiraz
UPDATED ON SEP 10, 2020 02:07 PM IST
Come autumn and many cities across the world are gearing to exhibit some of their great artworks. Here are 10 of this season’s must-see museum exhibitions
MALMO, Sweden | By Associated Press | Posted by: Amrita Kohli
UPDATED ON SEP 04, 2020 07:56 PM IST
The Disgusting Food Museum in Malmo, Sweden is introducing a drinks menu in the form of a temporary exhibition opening Saturday.
Hindustan Times, Mumbai | By Prashant Singh
UPDATED ON AUG 27, 2020 05:41 PM IST
Apparently, as a part of the 50th year celebrations of his family banner, Yash Raj Films, filmmaker Aditya Chopra is set to unveil plans of a museum dedicated to all the projects that have been made, till date, under his home banner