The gender bender on TV
While the earliest instances of men dressed as women are really old (Even the Mahabharat mentions Arjun disguised as a woman, Brihannala), films and television shows have always had men dressed up as women. But perhaps more than ever, this year, there number of such instances have been tremendous.
From various male actors donning the garb of a woman in Comedy Circus to the famous Gutthi (Sunil Grover), Dadi (Ali Asgar) and Palak (Kiku Sharda) in Comedy Nights With Kapil, to Gaurav Gera, who post his sensitive portrayal in Jassi, made a comeback with Mrs Pammi Pyarelal. Gaurav’s character, and the show, was rather garish, and at times crass and unfunny. As a result, it wasn’t surprising that it didn’t find many takers.
Most actors stick to comic roles while dressed up as women, but there are a few others too who portray serious roles too. We have seen men playing the role of eunuchs in Jodha Akbar, while Vishwajeet Pradhan cross-dresses for a serious role in Ek Boond Ishq.
Playing a woman isn’t easy, however. Actors don’t just dress up in saris and churidars, but even endure threading and waxing for the perfect look. Most men wear heels for the proper gait.
As waxing is painful, some opt to get their arms and legs shaved. Some even pierced their ears to wear heavy earrings. Gaurav lost weight to play Pammi, and was on a diet to keep his body in shape, especially his stomach. He said he felt gorgeous dressed as a woman, but that it was physically draining. Almost everyone admitted it was tough to dress up like a woman, as they took two hours to get ready and equally long hours to remove the make-up and costume.
The male actors have often received compliments about their body parts — ankles, hands and collarbones. Gaurav was teased on the sets, while apparently Shaheer Sheikh, who plays Arjun’s avatar Brihannala in Mahabharat, was told that he looked pretty as a girl. The other thing that happens is that actors’ wives and girlfriends ensure they drive the message home about how women need time to get ready.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Abhinav Shukla said that Bigg Boss 14 runner-up Rahul Vaidya did not deserve to be in the top two as he walked out of the show during the mid-season finale.
- Hema Malini was left teary-eyed on watching a video message from her daughter, Esha Deol, on Indian Idol 12. The episode will be aired tonight. Watch the promo here.
- Rannvijay Singha of Roadies fame wished his wife Prianka Singha on her birthday on Sunday. They recently announced they were expecting their second child together.
- Rahul Vaidya and Disha Parmar were spotted watching a cricket practice session. Fans loved their easy equation with each other and showered them with love.
- Sidharth Shukla and Sonia Rathee were seen riding a bike on the sets of their upcoming show Broken But Beautiful. The duo have roped in for the lead roles.
- Rakhi Sawant is disappointed with Rubina Dilaik and Aly Goni for not visiting her ailing mother, who is in hospital fighting cancer.
- Shehnaaz Gill has said that because Sidharth Shukla is 'the complete package', girls constantly hit on him, which she thinks is a problem.
- Kamya Panjabi was married to businessman Bunty Negi for 10 years before she gave up and walked out of the marriage in 2013. In a new interview, she recalls the day she left.
- Sahil Anand, recently seen on Kasautii Zindagii Kay 2, announced that him and his wife Rajneet Monga are expecting their first child. Check out his post.
- Actor Anita Hassanandani has shared new pictures and videos of her newborn son, Aaravv. Check them out here.
- Meghan Markle has been accused of bullying Palace staff members during her stay in 2018. While the Kensington Palace said that it is investigating the claims, Meghan's friends are coming to her defense.
- Sidharth Shukla showered praise on Badshah and rumoured girlfriend Shehnaaz Gill's new music video, Fly.