43% not happy with 'honest' Imran Khan's ouster, claims poll
A survey of Gallup Pakistan has now revealed that 43% people were not happy with the ouster of Imran Khan while the rest 57% were happy that Khan had to exit the government. The survey was conducted on 1,000 men and women in over 100 districts, soon after the confidence vote on Saturday night, reports said. Those who were unhappy about Imran Khan's ouster still considered Khan an honest politician while anger against Khan was mostly on the ground of the failing economy, the poll revealed.
Imran Khan will be holding 'jalsa' on Wednesday in Peshawar while a 'bigger surprise' is being planned at a public rally in Lahore on April 21, his party claimed. Even before the ouster, Imran Khan was pressing for an early election and today's jalsa is being seen as the first election campaign.
Eight social media activists of Imran Khan's party have been arrested for allegedly running an online campaign against Pakistan army chief General Qamar Javed Bajwa. According to the Federal Investigation Agency, it received a list of 50 suspects involved in social media campaign against the army chief and the top court judges from the intelligence agencies and eight of them have been taken into custody.
Imran Khan has reportedly fell out of the military's favour and it has been alleged that he wanted to remove General Bajwa from his post.
The Pakistan army has officially distanced itself from Imran versus opposition turmoil. After Imran Khan's exit, the army said. Pakistan Army has always stood by the state institutions to guard it and always will, without any compromise.
“Pakistan Army is aware of its responsibilities and shall continue to defend territorial integrity and sovereignty of Pakistan against all internal and external threats under all circumstances,” General Bajwa said at an event.
(With inputs from agencies)
Chinese President Xi Jinping, in a visit to Hong Kong on the city's handover anniversary on Thursday, told crowds that the city has been “reborn of fire” and “risen from the ashes” in what appeared to be references to the pro-democracy protests quelled by security forces in 2019 and a large-scale Covid-19 outbreak earlier this year.
Hong Kong has 'risen from the ashes', China president Xi Jinping said Thursday on a rare visit to the former British colony. Xi Jinping's was in Hong Kong to celebrate 25 year since it was returned to China and administer the oath of office to the global financial hub's new leader, John Lee. Today was Xi Jinping's first visit to Hong Kong since 2017.
Chaos erupted in Kabul as several explosions and gunfires were reported close to the hall where the 'Loya Jirga' or the grand assembly of religious scholars and elders is underway, local media reported. The exact cause and location of the gunfire is not clear yet. The Freedom Fighters Front in its statement said that its 'special forces' had attacked the Taliban gathering. But the Taliban regime has not said anything, Aamaj News English, reported.
Canada extended all existing Covid-related border restrictions till at least September 30 this year, the government announced on Wednesday. The restrictions include a mandatory 14-day quarantine for everyone except the fully vaccinated, which in this case means having taken the primary series of two doses of a Covid-19 vaccine approved by Canadian health authorities. Those not considered fully vaccinated will also be tested on the first and eighth days after their entry into Canada.
A Congolese woman was kidnapped twice by militants in the Democratic Republic of Congo, repeatedly raped and forced to cook and eat human flesh, a Congolese rights group told the United Nations Security Council on Wednesday. Julienne Lusenge, president of women's rights group Female Solidarity for Integrated Peace and Development (SOFEPADI), told the woman's story while addressing the 15-member council about the conflict-torn east of Congo.