Qaeda claims deadly June attack on Yemen intel HQ: statement
Al-Qaeda's branch in Yemen claimed responsibility today for a deadly June attack on the country's intelligence headquarters in the southern port city of Aden.Updated: Jul 11, 2010 23:25 IST
Al-Qaeda's branch in Yemen claimed responsibility today for a deadly June attack on the country's intelligence headquarters in the southern port city of Aden.
"Brigades of Jamil Nasser al-Ambari stormed Aden's intelligence headquarters and the result was killing not less than 24 officers and soldiers," said a statement posted on militant websites. Yemeni officials had said that eleven people, seven military personnel, three women and a seven-year-old boy, were killed in the attack.
The statement by Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula(AQAP) also refuted government claims that the alleged mastermind behind the attack had been captured, saying that the man arrested, Goudol Mohammed Ali Naji, had nothing to do with the attack.
"Goudol, whose arrest they(Yemeni authorities) have announced, has nothing to do with the operation," AQAP said.
It also threatened a "disastrous" response to a government raid in a remote mountainous region in December, in which 34 Al-Qaeda members were killed, according to security sources.
A day after the Aden attack, Yemeni authorities had said they had captured the mastermind behind the raid, identifying him as Naji. Yemen's higher security committee, in an official statement, had said that preliminary investigations had indicated that the attack had the hallmarks of Al-Qaeda.
There were no casualties among the attackers, according to witnesses.
First Published: Jul 11, 2010 23:22 IST