Delhi: Biker trapped under blazing Bullet, charred | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 23, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi: Biker trapped under blazing Bullet, charred

delhi Updated: Jan 14, 2016 11:14 IST
HT Correspondent

The bike was too heavy for Manik Gaur to push it off him.(HT photo)

A 32-year-old man was charred to death when the bike he was driving rammed a tempo, skid for a few metres and fell on him before catching fire, on NH 8 in southwest Delhi’s Shankar Vihar on Wednesday evening.

Manik Gaur was reportedly trapped under his Bullet as he could not push it after it caught fire and was burnt to death.

“Manik was in top speed. He rammed a stationary tempo and his bike’s fuel tank started leaking. He then went skidding for metres on the leaked petrol, and the sparks created due to friction set the bike ablaze. The bike fell on Manik and he could not push it away as a Bullet weighs around 200 kilos. He sustained severe injuries and he could not move,” said a senior police officer.

The passersby informed the PCR, and a police team rushed to the spot. Fire tenders were called. “We rushed Gaur to the hospital but he was declared dead on arrival as he had sustained 100% burn injuries. His clothes caught fire first and stuck to his skin. Since the bike was on him, he could not escape,” police said.

Eyewitnesses told the police that no one was able to rescue him as the bike was in flames and he was under it.

“None of the onlookers could help Gaur as there was no way he could have been rescued. It was only after the fire was doused that his body was pulled out,” said an eyewitness.

Officials from the Delhi Fire Services said a call reporting the fire was received at 1:45 pm, but by the time the tender reached the spot the rider had already lost consciousness, and suffered severe burn injuries.

“Two tenders were rushed to the spot along with a specialised team to handle the case because the fire was prompted by a petrol leak and there were high chances of it spreading. By 3 pm, the operation was on with the help of local police officials,” said a senior fire official.

A case was registered in the incident and enquiry was initiated.

Gaur worked in the hotel management industry, and is survived by his wife and a two-year-old daughter.

The police sent the body for a post mortem to ascertain the exact cause of death.