Delhi’s sweltering harsh weather leads to birds falling sick or dying due to dehydration. While it’s advised to keep bowls of water for the birds, there are situations where you might need professional help. Many NGOs and groups treat injured and sick birds in the city. Nadeem Shahzad and Mohammad Saud of Widlife Rescue Delhi are dedicated to the rescue and rehabilitation of birds of prey or raptors. “We have a treatment and rehabilitation space for raptors and wetland birds. When we get a call, we go to the location to pick up the injured birds”, says Saud.
If you come across injured birds, then it is very important to lead them to a safe environment. Saud says, “Put a cloth or sheet over the bird so that it can’t see you as birds tend to panic when approached. Pick them up carefully and put them in a well ventilated cardboard box. Take them to the nearest bird hospital.”
During summers, birds also face the risk of flying into running fans. “We advise residents to install nets or mesh grills on their balconies so that birds cannot enter the space,” says Nadeem.
Manta Sidhu, who runs the Angel Eyes Bird Rescue, advises residents to call a helpline when they come across a bird in distress. She says, “Do not try and feed the bird immediately as it is already in a state of shock. Take it to a vet or call an NGO for guidance.” Manta also advises to add a pinch of electrolyte or glucose in the water bowls.
Some Dos and Don’ts
1. While putting water bowls and grains for the birds, make sure you choose an elevated place where hunting animals cannot reach easily.
2. Grow climber plants at your house as they help provide shelter to small birds.
3. Plant trees such as pipal and jamun. They not only provide shelter and nesting space for birds, but also yield fruits which birds can eat.
4. Do not fly kites as the manja gives fatal injuries to the birds.
5. Avoid using reflective glass in construction of buildings. Birds mistake the reflections for actual open skies and fly straight into them.
1. Wildlife Rescue Delhi: 9810029698
2. Angel Eye Bird Rescue: 9810560230
3. Delhi Fire Department: 101