Six years after flat allotment by CHB, buyers yet to get ownership rights

  • Hillary Victor, Hindustan Times, Chandigarh
  • Updated: May 23, 2016 12:26 IST
In Sector 49, there are three types of houses—lower income group (one bedroom) and ‘higher’ and ‘lower’ categories for middle income group having two bedrooms each. (HT Photo)

As many as 1,000 owners of Chandigarh Housing Board flats in Sectors 38 (West) and 49 are at the receiving end as they have not been able to get ownership rights (conveyance deed), six years after the flats were allotted to them on freehold basis.

Due to this, allottees are not able to get loan against the flats and those wanting to sell off the properties, the CHB is asking for transfer charges ranging between Rs 6 lakh and Rs 8 lakh, which is almost 30% of the flat’s cost.

In Sector 49, there are three types of houses—lower income group (one bedroom) and ‘higher’ and ‘lower’ categories for middle income group having two bedrooms each. In Sector 38 (west), the houses are for low income group only.

Six years back, the CHB had allotted two-bedroom flats ranging between Rs 24 lakh and Rs 32 lakh.

Interestingly, even housing board has yet to execute the conveyance deed with UT administration for getting ownership rights in both the sectors.

Balbir Singh, land and acquisition officer of CHB, admitted that board has not executed the conveyance deed for flats with the UT administration. “We have sent a revised plan to the UT administration and hopefully, it will cleared soon.” Board chairman Maninder Singh said, “I am not aware of the issue, but will look into it on Monday.”

RTI activist Devinder Kumar said, “It is the duty of CHB to provide affordable housing, but they are minting money by charging transfer fee. The UT administration is charging about 6% registration fee on freehold properties, whereas the CHB is asking for 30% of the flat cost, which is unjustified.”

Sec-51 scheme: 100 apply for 200 flats; Monday last day

With just a day left for the closure of the Chandigarh Housing Board’s new housing scheme in Sector 51, only 100 applications have been received so far for the 200 flats proposed.

Launched on April 1, the housing scheme in Sector 51 has failed to attract buyers due to ‘exorbitant price’ of the 2BHK (bedroom, hall, kitchen) flats.

This is the worst ever response to a CHB scheme, it is learnt. A total of 900 forms were sold of which only 100 applied and two have applied for withdrawal. Even the brochure costs Rs 2,000.

The board’s Sector-63 housing scheme launched in 2008 had received over 22,000 applications for its 2,100 flats.

Experts attribute poor response from buyers to the high price of the flats. The board has set a price of `69 lakh for each flat, the payment for which needs to be made within three months after applying. The possession will be given in three years.

The board has failed to attract buyers even after extending the deadline of submitting the forms twice —initially it was April 30, then May 7, and now May 23.

The clause that buyers can’t sell flats before five years after the possession is also going against the scheme.

What is keeping buyers at bay

High cost: A 2BHK flat is priced at Rs 69 lakh.

Full payment: An applicant will need to pay the full cost within three months of applying.

Delayed possession: Possession will be given not before three years.

also read

Ruckus at fair over Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale song
Show comments