Theatre, food, music: 10 things to do in Mumbai this weekend
Confused about the weekend? Here’s our complete guide to the city.HT48HRS_Special Updated: Mar 30, 2017 18:02 IST
FRIDAY, MARCH 31
1) Theatre: Sangeet Bari: Learn about Lavni, the folk dance of Maharashtra. Narrated in the form of a song, the story sheds light on the life of the dancers, musicians and patrons.
Where: Prithvi Theatre, Juhu; Call: 2614 9546
Price: Rs 350; When: 8pm
2) Music: Awestrung: Singer Prateek Kuhad, known for his quirky pop and soul music, will perform some of his popular hits, including Oh Love and Raat Razi.
Where: High Street Phoenix, Lower Parel; Call: 4333 9994
Entry: Free; When: 5.30pm
3) Film: Short Films Night: Catch three noted short films this weekend. The first one, Henry, is an Oscar-nominated film based on a concert pianist who loses the love of his life. The next film, Good Luck Cafe, made by Luke Kenny, is a musical that sheds light on Indian stereotypes. Lastly, catch Ormie — The Pig, a story about obsession and adventure.
Where: The Pantry, Kala Ghoda; Call: 22700082
Entry: Free; When: 8pm
4) Theatre: Vasant Gujarati Natya Utsav: Catch the best of Gujarati theatre under one roof. The three-day festival will feature the works of noted playwrights, directors and actors from the Gujarati theatre fraternity.
Where: NCPA, Nariman Point ; Call: 6622 3737
Price: Rs 300; When: 7pm (on all days
5) Food: The Maharashtrian Food Fest: Celebrate the Maharashtrian new year (Gudi Padwa), with some traditional Marathi cuisine. Choose from puri bhaji, katachi amti, misal pav, aamras puri, aam panhe, and aam shrikhand.
Where: Puranmal, Juhu; Call: 9223411146
Price: Rs 1,000 for two; When: 11am onward
SATURDAY, APRIL 1
6) Workshop: Art, Wine and Dine: Spend the day with friends binging on finger food, drinking wine, and doodling on canvas. The idea behind the workshop is to spend a few hours away from technology, and spend an analogous weekend. The art supplies will be provided.
Where: TAG, Kamala Mills, Lower Parel; Call: 75060 73770
Price: Rs 2,500 per person; When: 3pm to 6pm
7) Food: Oriental Special: Dig into wrapped chicken in pak choi, spicy aubergine sato bean okra and French beans, mock meat poached Peking dumpling, shredded lamb soup with celery and mushroom, and braised chicken with mushroom in claypot.
Where: Yauatcha, Bandra Kurla Complex; Call: 92222 22800
Price: Rs 900; When: 12pm to 7pm
8) Festival: The Coalition: Always wanted to be a comedian or a humorous writer? Now is your chance. Learn from noted comedians and writers such as Mallika Dua, Harsha Bhogale, All India Bakhchod and Zakir Khan, who will come together at a creativity festival in the city.
Where: Bal Gandharva Rang Mandir, Bandra; Visit thecoalition.in to register
Price: Rs 600 onward; When: 10.30am
9) Food: Celebrating Coffee: Coffee lovers can now pick from cold Spanish latte (condensed milk and coffee, topped with whipped cream), diamond cappuccino (cappuccino topped with edible silver dust), signature affogato (espresso over chunks of vanilla ice cream), and coffee tonic (espresso with sparkling tonic water).
Where: Coffee By Di Bella, Bandra (W); Call: 6719 9555
Price: Rs 650 for two; When: 12pm
SUNDAY, APRIL 2
10) Comedy: The Ankit and Avinash Show: Comedians Ankit Challa and Avinash Verma will perform an improv comedy show inspired by the popular American TV show Whose Line Is It Anyway? The duo will take suggestions on characters and themes from the audiences.
Where: The Cuckoo Club, Bandra (W); Call: 96199 62969
Price: Rs 350; When: 7.30pm
First Published: Mar 30, 2017 00:00 IST