Karan Johar apologises for hurting sentiments of people of Arunachal Pradesh
A day after Karan Johar was trolled on social media for allegedly "insulting" the culture and the traditional headgears of the people of the Northeast, the filmmaker apologised Wednesday for his "purely unintentional" remarks.
The director uploaded a video clip on Instagram on November 10, shot on the sets of reality talent show India's Got Talent, where he, along with Kirron Kher and Malaika Arora serve as jury.
After being severely criticised for his comments, Johar replied to an Assamese journalist, saying he would like to apologise in case he had hurt any sentiments.
"You are absolutely right and I would like to apologise if I have hurt any sentiments. It was purely unintentional and came from a place of no knowledge which is absolutely no excuse. I am extremely sensitive to the different cultures of our land and I am very sorry," he wrote on Twitter.
Johar also said that he had deleted the post in question from his Instagram.
The aforementioned clip showed Kher wearing a spiked bamboo Arunachalee hat and the director exclaiming, "Oh my god, what is that on your head?"
To this Kher replied, "People from Arunachal Pradesh have brought it for me and they have got this for you," showing him an Assamese Japi, a traditional hat made of bamboo, dried leaves and pieces of coloured cloth.
When the actor-politician asked why Johar was not wearing the Japi, he says, "Because you have guts, I don't."
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sushant Singh Rajput's niece, Mallika Singh, shared precious memories with him on his birth anniversary. She said that she misses him ‘more than (he) can ever imagine’.
- Mira Rajput has shared new pictures from her Goa vacation with Shahid Kapoor. See her latest posts here.
- Kangana Ranaut criticised Twitter after a representative justified temporary restriction of her account, citing her now-deleted anti-Tandav tweet.
- Anil Kapoor was sceptical about playing Priyanka Chopra's father in Dil Dhadakne Do, as they were offered films as a romantic pair in the past. His son, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, convinced him to take up the role.
- Actor Tiger Shroff's sister, Krishna, has shared a special post on her 28th birthday, and Disha Patani is in awe. Check it out here.
- Actor Arjun Rampal has shared a new video with his son, Arik. His partner, Gabriella Demetriades, loves it.
- Varun Dhawan evaded commenting on his upcoming wedding with Natasha Dalal in Alibaug when photographers congratulated him. Watch the video here.
- Renuka Shahane, whose parents separated when she was eight years old, was ostracised by other children because she came from a 'broken family'.
- Late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's last co-star, Sanjana Sanghi, has paid tribute to him on his birth anniversary on Thursday.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's sister Priyanka Singh paid an emotional tribute to him on his birth anniversary. She appealed to him to respond as the 'eventuality of (his) silence is too loud to bear'.
- Actor Swara Bhasker has said that it is advisable to have a plan B in place before aspiring actors attempt to realise their Bollywood dreams.
- Kajol revealed why she found herself 'attractive' and even 'sexy', but never 'beautiful'. It took her many years to associate that adjective with herself.