Nawazuddin Siddiqui on his new book: I knew it would upset a lot of people
When you hear the words “quite a selfish bastard” or “a rascal who only cared for himself”, you’d imagine the speaker is talking about someone else, right? Not so in Bollywood actor Nawazuddin Siddiqui’s memoir, An Ordinary Life, out on October 25. Those are his descriptions of himself.
Shocking? That’s because Nawazuddin aka Nawaz has decided to be scrupulously honest in his memoir. “Actually, all the girls I have ever been with have had this same complaint from me. I would only come to them for my own needs,” he writes in An Ordinary Life.
The book, alongside his journey to stardom, narrates the minutest details of his love affairs — that includes one with his Miss Lovely (2012) co-star Niharika Singh — and those are being lapped up by gossip lovers.
The thought of people’s reaction to his unabashed “truth” did make Nawaz jittery. “I don’t know isko bahut sare log kaise judge karenge. Ho sakta hai ek bahut ajeeb si image ban jaye meri… Iss cheez ki mujhe thodi si fikr aur darr bhi hai. But it’s okay. Jo fact hai, maine wohi samne rakhne ki koshish kari. (I don’t know how a lot of people will judge this. It’s possible that my image changes for the worse… I’m somewhat concerned and fearful about it… But, I have only tried to bring the facts to the fore).”
For Bollywood stars and their fans, the revelation of such intimate personal details is explosive — Nawaz has written about a torrid one-night stand with a waitress in New York! But true to how experimental he is as an actor, the writer Nawaz is also ready to break stereotypes, even if that means exposing his true self to the world.
“I don’t think I’m a superstar, but I’m a human being first. Har insaan chahta hai, mai kisi ko zarur bataun ki mai kaisa hun. Lekin iss darr se ki log mere baare mein kya sochenge, shayad nahi batata. Yeh insaan ka nature hai… Insaan humare Bollywood ki filmon ke hero ki tarahe sarv gun sampann thodi na hota hai. Insaan ke andar kuchh achchhai hai toh kuchh buraiyan bhi toh hoti hai (Every individual wishes to share their own true self with someone. But, the fear of people’s perception discourages them from sharing it. This is human nature… Humans aren’t endowed with just the good qualities, like our Bollywood heroes. Each real person has something good and something bad about them),” says the actor, who has done varied films such as Bajrangi Bhaijaan (2015), Raman Raghav 2.0 (2016), and this year’s Mom, and Babumoshai Bandookbaaz.
Nawaz admits that he could’ve chosen to conceal some of the facts or names, such as TV actor Achint Kaur influencing her flatmate and Nawaz’s first girlfriend Sunita to break up with the then struggling Nawaz. He, however, felt it necessary to mention all for these reasons: “Kyunki phir fayda nahi tha na book likhne ka. Mujhe maloom hai ki iske baad bahut saare log bura manenge, par nahi to phir mai kyun likh raha hun. Mere paas waqt tha sochne ka ki mai naam dun ya na dun, sach likhun ya nahi, thoda manipulative ho jaun… Bahut waqt mila mujhe, but finally I realised ki yaar karna chahiye — agar likhna hai to sach likho, warna mat likho (Otherwise, there was no point in writing a book. I know a lot of people will be upset after reading this, but I felt there was no point in writing without mentioning facts. I got a lot of time to decide, should I give names or not, should I write the truth or not, should be a little manipulative… I got a lot of time to think, but finally I realised that it’s better to do it right — if you must write, then write the truth, or don’t write at all).”
Follow @htshowbiz for more.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.