Rita Bhaduri was my friend, closest competitor at FTII, says Shabana Azmi
Shabana Azmi remembers the late Rita Bhaduri as a “cute and impish” girl who was her friend, batchmate and closest competitor at the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) in Pune.
Upon Rita’s demise on early Tuesday, Shabana was inundated with calls asking her to share “thoughts” on the late actress.
“There is something so matter of fact, almost cold about this question, ‘Your thoughts on Rita Bhaduri’. I am yet to fully comprehend that my classmate from FTII passed away this morning. I’m on my way to her house and the phone hasn’t stopped ringing. Perfunctory questions... your reactions please? How strange that I mentioned her in a piece I wrote on the FTII days just three days ago,” Shabana said.
They were in touch on a Whatsapp group of FTII classmates. “I got a message yesterday that her condition was critical. She fell down at a shooting a month ago and injured her spine. Unfortunately, she contracted an infection and had to undergo another surgery. She was in excruciating pain because she was on dialysis and could not be administered strong pain killers. And today she is gone,” said Shabana.
They shared a close bond while in the film institute. “With her go my memories of an easy comradeship, much laughter and affection that comes from living together. Although we didn’t share a room at the FTII hostel, I was in the habit of clambering into her bed on waking up.
“For as long as I can remember I used to snuggle into my parents’ bed first thing in the morning. When I left home for FTII, it was Rita’s bed I would tumble into, my eyes only half-opened. There was something cute and impish about her. We used to call her Tanuja (veteran actress) because of her effervescence. She was a good student, my closest competitor in class but that didn’t colour our friendship. And then life happened. We went our separate ways.”
(‘This story has not been modified from its original version’)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
Akshay Oberoi: Acting is not a sport or a game, you’re just competing with yourself and your last performance
- Called a 'truly clueless, uneducated, stupid human being' on Twitter, Kangana Ranaut said that her tweets are intended for 'high IQ people'.
- Babil Khan got emotional as he stumbled upon old messages from his father, the late Irrfan Khan, while deleting unnecessary texts from his phone.
- Hrithik Roshan, in an interview in 2017, said that he was at a good place in his life and was not thinking about getting married again. He was previously married to Sussanne Khan.
- Parineeti Chopra reminisced about many of her firsts in a new video for Netflix India. Watch it here.
- Bipasha Basu and her husband, Karan Singh Grover, have been keeping their fans updated with their adventures in the Maldives. See their pictures here.
- Milind Soman and his wife, Ankita Konwar, took to Instagram on Saturday to celebrate seven years of their relationship. See the pictures here.
- Actor Priyanka Chopra on Saturday passed on her best wishes to the current Miss India contestants, and reminisced about winning the crown two decades ago.
- Ranvir Shorey was asked by a fan if his leg fracture was caused by too much happy dancing after recovering from Covid-19. See his reply here.
- Shilpa Shetty, who is currently vacationing in Maldives, shared another stunning picture of herself. See it here.