Student of the Year 2 box office day 1: Tiger Shroff, Ananya Panday film earns Rs 12 cr, is a slow starter
Student of the Year 2, starring Tiger Shroff and debutants Ananya Panday and Tara Sutaria, received lukewarm response at the box office amid disappointing reviews. The film could not become Tiger’s highest opening film with a day one collection of just Rs 12 crore. His highest opener remains Baaghi 2 which opened to Rs 25 crore in 2018.
Film trade analyst Taran Adarsh shared the box office figures of the film. He tweeted, “#StudentOfTheYear2 puts up a fairly good total on Day 1... Biz slowed down towards evening shows... Sat and Sun crucial... Substantial growth - especially at plexes - is essential for a healthy total... Fri ₹ 12.06 cr. India biz. #SOTY2 is Tiger’s second highest opener so far.”
Sharing the opening figures of Tiger’s earlier films, he tweeted, “Tiger Shroff versus Tiger Shroff... Day 1 biz...2018: #Baaghi2 ₹ 25.10 cr 2019: #SOTY2 ₹ 12.06 cr 2016: #Baaghi ₹ 11.94 cr 2016: #AFlyingJatt ₹ 7.10 cr [Thu] 2017: #MunnaMichael ₹ 6.65 cr 2014: #Heropanti ₹ 6.63 cr India biz.”
WATCH: Student of the Year 2 | Public Review
SOTY 2 is the fifth highest opening Bollywood film after Kalank, Kesari, Gully Boy and Total Dhamaal which recorded an opening of Rs 21.60 cr, Rs 21.06 cr, Rs 19.40 cr and Rs 16 cr, respectively.
Directed by Punit Malhotra of Gori Tere Pyaar Mein fame, the film marks the debut of actor Chunky Panday’s daughter Ananya and Disney VJ Tara. Ananya had recently told IANS in an interview, “I hope people watch the film and then make judgement. I will be okay with whatever judgement they’d make after that.”
The film comes two weeks after the release of Hollywood film Avengers: Endgame which smashed several box office records in India and across the globe. The Marvel film has already collected Rs 400 crore in India.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Several Bollywood celebrities such as Karan Johar; Riteish Deshmukh and his wife, Genelia; Sussanne Khan; and Neelam Kothari Soni, were spotted at the birthday party of Ekta Kapoor's son, Ravie.
- Bobby Deol's wife, Tanya, once recalled the story of how the actor made moves on her by calling her in the dead of night, only to be ignored.
- A picture of Khushi Kapoor and her cousin, Shanaya, taking dance lessons, is being widely shared online.
- Masaba Gupta has thanked her mother, actor Neena Gupta, for keeping her grounded. "I have seen kids who are really bad at what they do, being told that they are kings and queens," she said.
- Actor Varun Dhawan, who recently tied the knot with Natasha Dalal, has hinted that photographer Rohan Shrestha might soon get married, too. Rohan is rumoured to be dating Shraddha Kapoor.