Taapsee Pannu was advised against taking up powerful female roles: ‘Then what should I do? Flimsy roles?’
Actor Taapsee Pannu has said in an interview that she was advised by people to not take up any more strong female roles in films. Taapsee has played a scientist, a lawyer, a hockey player, a sharpshooter and many other powerful roles in her career so far.
Talking to Zoom, Taapsee said she was asked to ‘let men take the centre stage.’ “I have been advised by people in this industry that you should let men take the centre stage now. You are only doing women-centric films. When I tell them that I also did Mission Mangal, they say but that’s again a strong female character. Toh kya karu? Kuch bhi flimsy sa role kar lun? (Then what should I do? Should I do flimsy roles?),” she said.
When asked about taking up what many would call a ‘flimsy role’ in Judwaa 2 opposite Varun Dhawan, she said it was only to prove that she could do something like this as well. “Yes, that I did only to prove that I can also do this. Don’t put me in a box. But today, I am in a position that when I do a commercial film, the character will have something for sure. That I can command today,” she said.
Taapsee whose last three films - Badla, Mission Mangal and Saand Ki Aankh - fared well at the box office, is now looking forward to multiple new films. She has Thappad with Anubhav Sinha, a Mithali Raj biopic titled Shabaash Mithu, Rashmi Rocket and Haseen Dillruba with Vikrant Massey.
Taapsee will start shooting for Shabaash Mithu in the middle of 2020. “It is going to be difficult, I know. I watch cricket a lot but I never played the game. So, it is going to be challenging for me. Mithali (Raj) has already told me that ‘I’d like to see how you play the cover drive!’ So, I dream of cover drives now,” she laughed.
“I will start preparing for the film at the start of next year because we are going to start shooting of the film from middle of 2020,” added the actor.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Anil Kapoor joked that Jackie Shroff has threatened to slap him multiple times unless he confirms a film together. The two have starred in 12 films together, till date.
- Mika Singh talked about marriage on Indian Pro Music League. He said that he is the ‘only forever bachelor’ after Salman Khan and wishes to keep his tag for some time.
- Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli met in a rather unconventional manner, during an ad shoot. While she was confident, he was a 'jittery and nervous'. Read the rest of the story here.
- Sharing how meeting a girl at an education programme led her to discover her bisexuality, Shonali Bose says, 'I hope, the youth today doesn’t have that shame'.
- Film producer Rhea Kapoor got love from a number of Bollywood beauties including Kareena Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Karisma Kapoor on her birthday.
Kunal Kemmu: We will have to wait and gauge the appetite of audiences to watch films on the big screen
- TV host Rannvijay Singha took to Instagram to post a cute family picture with wife Prianka and daughter Kainaat to make the announcement.
- Saina Nehwal has praised the teaser of her biopic Saina, which features Parineeti Chopra as the noted badminton player.