PNB declares 100% dividend despite flat Q3 numbers
Hit by low treasury income and higher provisioning, the net profit of Punjab National Bank (PNB) remained flat at Rs 1,011 crore for the third quarter ended December.
The country's second largest public sector lender had reported a net profit of Rs 1,006 crore during the same quarter last fiscal.
Although it reported a flat profit, as the market leader State Bank did last week, PNB too proposed 100 per cent interim dividend for its shareholders.
The total income of the bank also remained at the same level as that of the corresponding quarter a year ago at Rs 6,236.55 crore.
During the quarter, the bank booked a treasury income of only Rs 157 crore against Rs 341 crore in the same quarter a year ago, PNB chairman and managing director KR Kamath told reporters here, while announcing the third quarter numbers.
Besides, the bank also made prudent provisioning for the debt relief scheme and expected wage revision, pulling down the profit, he added.
Despite offering the lowest benchmark prime lending rate (BPLR) in the industry, the bank improved it net interest margin (NIM) to 3.84 per cent at the end of December from 3.59 per cent at the end of same period last year, he said.
Without specifying the NIM figures for the fourth quarter, Kamath said, the bank aims to maintain a NIM of 3.5 per cent during the fiscal.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Despite decades of strong economic growth, the country’s spending on health care is barely 1% of GDP, way below Brics peer nations, resulting in serious supply-side deficits of facilities and professionals.
- Aditya Birla Sun Life Asset Management has started talks with potential merchant bankers for the IPO, which is likely to be launched in the June quarter, said the people cited above.
- The Bengaluru-based firm plans to start production as early as in June. That’s audacious, given that the land—260 acres for the plant and 240 acres for two supplier parks—is still in excavation mode.
- The term sheet executed between the two parties in 2015, promised ZO Rooms’ shareholders 7% of Oyo.
- Bharat Forge Ltd and Megha Engineering and Infrastructure Ltd may also submit expressions of interest for the government’s stake in BEML, the people said on condition of anonymity.
- The survey captures the mood of the industry for the two quarters ending June 30, 2021.
- For checking EPF balance without UAN number, users will need to log into their account through the EPF homepage at epfindia.gov.in.
- The 15th Finance Commission has recommended that states be given 41 per cent of the divisible tax pool of the Centre during the period 2021-22 to 2025-26, which is at the same level as was recommended by the 14th Finance Commission.
- Here’s a list of some of the tasks which need to be performed by taxpayers before March 31