BJP booth president, brother killed in Kanpur
A local leader of the Bharatiya Janata Party and his brother were shot dead on Wednesday when they were on their way to a court in Kanpur Dehat, to appear in a murder trial in which they were the main accused, said police.
Senior superintendent of police (SSP) Anant Deo said that police had taken five people into custody in the matter and they were being questioned.
Kapur Singh, alias Kaloo, 45, a booth president of the BJP, and his brother Bachcha Singh, 43, were accused in the murder of one Vijay Singh in 2011, said police.
According to cops, the two left their house on their motorcycle at around 9 am. The assailants, with their faces covered, reportedly pursued them and near canal bridge, close to Girsi Kothi in Ghatampur, they opened fire on the duo. Kapur Singh, who was driving, lost balance and both of them fell off their two-wheeler, eyewitnesses told police.
The assailant then fired at them indiscriminately before fleeing on an unnumbered motorcycle, said police.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Indira Hridayesh, Uttarakhand leader of opposition, rubbished the rumours and said that she is in a very important position in Congress.
- The move comes after it was found during an inspection that bars at some establishments were using liquor and beer bottles which did not have 2D bar-code and those that were not readable.
- Instructions have been given to the tourism department officials to prepare the detailed project report for the tent city in Varanasi.
- Circle police officers and police station in-charges have been asked to strictly comply with the instructions and counsel their subordinates to ensure no undignified caller tunes were used.
- In 2020, Patna scored 1552.11 out of 6,000 points with zero score in certification category.