Class-11 student’s suicide: CM directs Ludhiana DC to conduct inquiry
A day after a Class-11 student of a private school in Dhandari committed suicide, chief minister Captain Amarinder Singh took to Twitter and directed the Ludhiana deputy commissioner (DC) to personally look into the matter.
In the tweet, Capt Amarinder Singh wrote, “Deeply anguished to hear of a Class-11 student committing suicide after facing harassment by teachers at school. Have directed the Ludhiana DC to personally look into the matter and report to me. My thoughts are with the family in this time of grief.”
In a 52-second video recorded before taking the extreme step, the student was seen accusing the school authorities of physically and mentally torturing him. “I am going to commit suicide. Love you mom, dad; I will miss you friends. I am helpless due to the mental and physical torture I am facing from the school,” he had said in the video, which is now being circulated on the social media.
The police have booked the school’s director, principal and a teacher for abetment to suicide.
The accused have been identified as SGD Grammer Senior Secondary School director Prabhu Dutt, school principal Saroj Sharma, and teacher Poonam.
The case was registered on the basis of the statement of the deceased’s father, who is a factory labourer.
He had informed that on Wednesday, his son went to school wearing short pants but his teacher Poonam found it inappropriate and asked him to leave the class and later took him to the principal’s office.
“In the principal’s office, Saroj called her husband Pabhu Dutt, who tied my son’s hands with his tie and thrashed him. He also made him remove his pant,” said the deceased’s father while adding that his son didn’t go to school on Thursday and had not eaten food the entire day.
On the intervening night of Thursday and Friday, the teen went to his room and hanged himself from a hook fixed with the ceiling. The deceased’s mother, who was in an inconsolable state, said her son had been depressed after the incident.
Deputy commissioner Pradeep Agrawal said a team, comprising sub-divisional magistrate Amarjit Bains, Daba station house officer and principal of Government Senior Secondary School, Dhandari Kalan, has been formed to investigate the matter and file a report.
“The district education officer will also monitor the investigation,” he said.
Inspector Pavitar Singh, Daba station house officer, said an inquiry is being conducted.
However, no arrest has been made as the three accused are on the run. He said that after the postmortem of the deceased, the body was handed over to the family and cremation was conducted.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- A senior official said workers associated with the Jeevika scheme have been tasked with the job of ensuring high footfall of women for vaccination on March 8.
- Much like the plague of 1898, experts say the Covid pandemic will change the DNA of Bengaluru
- A special investigation team was formed to crack this case. It found some leads based on the mobiles calls made to the girl.
- Police took Harswroop into custody and questioned him, which led to the recovery of the child’s body, stuffed in a bag from his room.
- An environmentalist said such fires are started in small patches, mostly to collect mahua flowers in Jharkhand during this season.
- The 82-year-old activist, who was granted interim bail for six months on medical grounds by the Bombay high court on February 22, was discharged from the private hospital late Saturday night, they said.
- The CPCB report released on Sunday said that there are over 112 sites in India that are contaminated by toxic and hazardous substances.
- Several thousand Muslim Rohingya immigrants, fleeing Myanmar to escape persecution, have been staying in the Union Territory for years now.
- An infection is said to be endemic in a population when it is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area.
- The BJP dismissed the allegations as “baseless” and hit back, saying that the AAP should answer why the construction of the Signature bridge in north-east Delhi faced delays.