Adam Gilchrist to play in Indian board's league
Australia's Adam Gilchrist will take part in the inaugural Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty20 tournament in April, the Board of Control for Cricket in India confirmed on Friday.
"Gilchrist will play. He has already got a no objection certificate from the Australian board," IPL chairman Lalit Modi told reporters after the first day of the two-day meeting with representatives of the eight franchises.
The tournament organisers had agreed with most international boards, including Australia, not to choose players until they had been retired for at least two years and Gilchrist, 36, is retiring from international cricket next month.
But Modi said the Indian board has given the IPL governing body the powers to do away with the rules on the two-year "cooling off" period for recently retired players.
Australian players are in danger of losing their contracts because of a sponsorship row between Cricket Australia (CA) and IPL, however.
The CA want protection for its sponsors during the IPL, a request the organisers rejected.
"They will not get global sponsorship protection," Modi said. "No sponsor of any country, national team, will have any rights over the IPL under any circumstances," he added.
However, board spokesman Rajiv Shukla told reporters that the governing committee was to discuss the issue of availability of Australian players before the players' auction scheduled for later this month.
The league, expected to feature many of the game's top players, is an effort to counter an unofficial Indian Twenty20 league which began late last year.
The 44-day IPL starts on April 18. Teams will play home and away games leading to a grand final. The first year will feature 59 matches played in late afternoon for prime-time television.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In the first ball of the 83rd over of the Indian innings, Pant played the reverse sweep off Anderson that flew over the slips and to the boundary on Day 2.
- Defending a moderate total of 160-6, Wanindudu Hasaranga, Akila Dananjaya and Danushka Gunathilaka took eight wickets, bowling out the West Indies for 117 in 18.4 overs.
- Gavaskar’s comments came in the backdrop of widespread criticism of Indian pitches from a section of former England cricketers after India beat them comprehensively in the second and third Test to take a 2-1 lead in the four-match series.
- Sehwag hit five sixes and 10 fours in his unbeaten knock of 80 off just 35 balls. The former India opener took 19 runs off the first over off Bangladesh Legends' Mohammad Rafique to set the tone for the chase.
- Manjrekar’s comments came after India Test vice-captain Ajinkya Rahane was out for another low score on Day 2 of the India-England fourth Test in Ahmedabad.
- The likes of Nasser Hussain, Michael Vaughan, Andrew Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Ian Bell took to Twitter to admire Rishabh Pant’s century against England on Day 2 of the 4th Test on Friday.