England’s Bairstow poised for Test recall after BBL withdrawal
England’s Jonny Bairstow has withdrawn from the Melbourne Stars’ upcoming Big Bash League campaign after he was recalled for international duty, the Australian Twenty20 franchise said on Thursday.
The 10th edition of the Twenty20 event begins on December 10 and the 31-year-old wicketkeeper-batsman was set to make his tournament debut after Christmas.
However, Bairstow is now expected to be called up to England’s test squad for the tour of Sri Lanka in January.
“We’re naturally disappointed Jonny won’t be able to link up with us this season but we wish him well on his recall and England’s winter tours,” Stars coach David Hussey said.
England have yet to confirm their test squad for the Sri Lanka series.
Bairstow, who is currently part of the limited-overs squad in South Africa, has not played a Test this year after a difficult 2019 but scored a century in England’s last test in Sri Lanka two years ago.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- There has been a clamour to remove Virat Kohli as the captain of the Indian cricket team. Even though he is the most successful captain in India’s Test cricket history, some fans have sought to change his leadership role.
- Sridhar said the Indian team management was informed about their family members not being allowed to travel to Australia with them 48 hours before their journey from Dubai.
- Four bowlers made debuts against a line-up that boasted the likes of Steve Smith, David Warner and Marnus Labuschagne. That the visitors still emerged as the better side is the strongest possible proof that India’s bowling reserve is exceptionally talented and deep.
- The India fielding coach said Kohli had messaged him around 12:30 at night after India suffered a humiliating loss in Adelaide to discuss the plans for the next Test in Melbourne.
- Jadeja, who did not feature in the first Test against Australia because of an injury, came back into the side for the second Test in Melbourne and immediately left his mark in all three departments of the game.