Sign in

Ex-India cricketer claims TMC denied him ticket after he refused to pay INR 5 crore: 'The chapter is over'

Former India batter Manoj Tiwary made serious charges against the TMC, a day after the party lost power in West Bengal. 

Updated on: May 5, 2026, 18:00:58 IST
Written by
Share
Share via
  • facebook
  • twitter
  • linkedin
  • whatsapp
Copy link
  • copy link

Former India batter Manoj Tiwary revealed that he has quit the All India Trinamool Congress (TMC), a day after the party lost the West Bengal state assembly elections. Tiwary, who was the junior sports minister of Bengal, alleged that he was denied a ticket from Howrah's Shibpur constituency after he refused to pay INR 5 crore.

Manoj Tiwary made severe charges against TMC (PTI)
Manoj Tiwary made severe charges against TMC (PTI)

Mamata Banerjee-led TMC went out of power on Monday after losing to the BJP in the West Bengal elections. The result marked an end to TMC's 15-year rule in the state. Tiwary made severe allegations against the party, claiming corruption within it and saying that this was the major reason behind the BJP's rise in the state.

“Look, I am not at all surprised by this debacle. This was bound to happen when an entire party has indulged in corrupt practices, and there was no development in any sector,” Tiwary told news agency PTI.

Also Read: What forced angry Kolkata fans to turn violent at Lionel Messi event: Paid thousands, but only ministers, VIPs got access

"Only those who could pay hefty money could buy tickets. At least 70-72 candidates this time paid around five crore to get a ticket. I was asked, but I refused to pay. Just check how many of those who paid up have managed to win. As far as TMC is concerned, that chapter is over (for me)," he added.

The 40-year-old also revealed that he had no plans to enter politics. He was first offered a Lok Sabha Ticket by TMC in 2019. He eventually won by contesting from Shibpur in the 2021 assembly polls.

"At that time, I had played for Punjab Kings in the IPL and was still playing Ranji Trophy seriously when Didi (Mamata Banerjee) wanted me to contest the Lok Sabha. I had politely declined but before the 2021 elections, Didi once again called and told me 'Manoj, I have a message for you and Aroop will tell you'. I was asked to contest from Shibpur, and I thought that I could make a meaningful change," Tiwary recalled.

The Lionel Messi event fiasco

Earlier this year, Kolkata came into the spotlight for all the wrong reasons after the event featuring Lionel Messi was badly mismanaged at the Salt Lake Stadium. There was utter chaos at the venue, prompting the Argentine superstar to leave early. Following Messi's departure, fans resorted to breaking chairs and other stadium fixtures.

Tiwary also levelled serious allegations against outgoing sports minister Aroop Biswas, revealing that he had no clue about the state's sporting ecosystem.

“Aroop Da doesn't know A, B, C, D of any sport. There would be functions where both Aroop da and I would be invited, and I would not be called on the dais. There was one Durand Cup unveiling where my pictures were flashed on sports pages, and from the next Durand Cup, I wouldn't get any invite,” he said.

"I knew something like this would happen and refrained from attending the event (Lionel Messi). I didn't want to be part of an event where common people were taken for a ride. I would repeatedly ask Aroop da, 'Dada please introduce a sports policy as per allocated budget'. He never bothered," he added.

Speaking of Biswas, he lost to BJP candidate Papia Adhikary by 6,000 votes.

  • Vishesh Roy
    ABOUT THE AUTHOR
    Vishesh Roy

    Vishesh Roy is a sports journalist with a strong focus on cricket. He began his career at Asian News International (ANI), where he covered a range of high-profile events, including the India Open, Legends Cricket League, the England–India Test series in Ahmedabad in 2021, and the inauguration of the Narendra Modi Stadium. During his tenure at ANI, he also reported extensively on domestic cricket, covering several Ranji Trophy and Vijay Hazare Trophy matches across the country. While cricket remains his primary beat, Vishesh has also reported on tennis, football and WWE. After a stint of over three years at ANI, Vishesh moved to NDTV, where he gained hands-on experience in digital-first journalism, with a particular emphasis on live blogs and real-time news reporting. He joined Hindustan Times in October 2024 and quickly established himself with a series of exclusive interviews and source-driven stories. Ahead of the IPL 2025 auction, Hindustan Times was the first to report that the two-day event would be held in Saudi Arabia. In the early months of his tenure, Vishesh secured interviews with leading cricketers, including Pat Cummins, Shreyas Iyer, Nitish Kumar Reddy and Rashid Latif. He has also closely tracked the rise of emerging talents such as Vaibhav Suryavanshi and Priyansh Arya by speaking to their current and childhood coaches. His background in on-field reporting has helped Hindustan Times Digital break exclusive stories on major developments, including Virat Kohli’s return to the Ranji and Vijay Hazare Trophy, IPL scheduling, and the T20 World Cup controversy involving Bangladesh and Pakistan.Read More

Get live cricket scores, match updates, schedules, results and ICC rankings. Follow the latest news, statistics and performances of top teams and players on Hindustan Times.