ICC insists TV deal is not off
In an intriguing development on Thursday, the ICC dismissed the claims of a news agency that its “billion-dollar deal” with ESPN-Star Sports was in a quandary.Updated: May 24, 2007 11:16 IST
In an intriguing development on Thursday, the International Cricket Council dismissed the claims of a news agency that its “billion-dollar deal” with ESPN-Star Sports was in a quandary.
An agency story said on Wednesday that “ESPN-Star Sports is yet to formally sign any contract with the ICC and is keen to re-negotiate the existing agreement”.
However, ICC media manager Brian Murgatroyd dismissed the speculation as baseless and said that the game's governing body was contemplating taking legal action against the “agency or the newspaper that has made them”
“It's completely false,” Murgatroyd told HT. “The money has changed hands and there is nothing more to it.
“On 9th December 2006, we signed the binding agreement with ESPN-Star Sports and nothing has been changed or altered since.
“In fact, it was only last week that we went to South Africa with the ESPN-Star Sports' officials,” he added.
In the aftermath of India's ignominious early exit from the shambolic World Cup, serious doubts are being cast over the marketability and brand value of the game in the country, with Harish Thawani, CEO of Nimbus — which signed a whopping $612 million deal with the BCCI — openly stating that a shakedown was required.
First Published: May 24, 2007 11:15 IST