IPL fines Jaipur franchise
The Jaipur franchise has been penalised for spending less amount than the mandatory sum set by the Indian Premier League organisers for players' auction in Mumbai.
The Jaipur team was required to spend $ 3.3 million (approx Rs 13.17 crore) but they ended up shelling out only $ 2.9 million (approx Rs 11.8 crore) for eight players.
"The Jaipur team has been penalised for spending less than the mandatory amount in Wednesday's players' auction," IPL Chairman Lalit Modi said.
"In penalty, they will have to pay the difference to the orgnisers," he said.
Five of the eight franchises, however, spent more than the maximum limit of USD 5 million.
As per the IPL rules if a player is expected to be "either completely unavailable or only available for less than four of the matches in 2008, 25 per cent of the fee bid for that player in the auction will count against the $ 5 million purse".
Jaipur have bought Mohammad Kaif (Rs 2.7 crore), Graeme Smith (Rs 1.9 crore), Yusuf Pathan (Rs 1.9 crore), Shane Warne (Rs 1.7 crore), Munaf Patel (Rs 1.1 crore), Younis Khan (Rs 90 lakh), Kamran Akmal (Rs 60 lakh), Justin Langer (Rs 80 lakh).
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Yet, there is a legitimate issue here. The definition of a "good surface" may simply be a matter of one person's opinion against another's; but the very structure of Test cricket, it's 5-day format, demands a surface that has a reasonable chance to support play for five days.
- With several former cricketers claiming that the Ahmedabad pitch was a bad one, former India cricketer Deep Dasgupta said that he does not agree with the viewpoint.
- Former India batsman Gautam Gambhir weighed in on the topic, saying that even though he does not agree with Yuvraj on his opinion, he still believes Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh would have ended their careers with a lot more wickets.
- IND vs ENG: Kohli has scored two fifties in the series but has not been able to convert it to a hundred yet.
- On Monday, Harbhajan Singh shared the teaser of his upcoming film 'Friendship' on Twitter.